ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to proxy edit HD(V)?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
redindian
How to proxy edit HD(V)?
on Jul 21, 2006 at 6:12:45 pm

This is one of the most touted features- but I cant seem to find it - how do I enable this?
I have JVC HD100, I downloaded the presets, and the 720/30p playback is jerky - so I was trying to do an offline/proxy edit (edit using lower quality proxy files) to work faster...

(I dont want to spend $500 on AspectHD)

searched here.. and also the help file... there doesnt seem to be any direct reference to it...

thanks

From:http://www.adobe.com/tw/products/premiere/pdfs/premiere_overview.pdf

HD Proxy editing
Save disk space and boost rendering speed with full-featured editing of low-bandwidth fi les. With proxy editing, progress on your high-resolution projects can continue even when you are working away from high-end, video-optimized machines. Low-bandwidth proxy files allow HD and SD projects to be edited on laptops and other general-purpose machines, giving full real-time features and performance without overwhelming the hard drive or the CPU. A proxy file may be used whether the master clip is online or offl ine, allowing for a choice in scaling the workfl ow and system performance while you edit. When the master clip is offl ine, you can later re-link the master to the proxy or recaptured at full resolution

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: How to proxy edit HD(V)?
on Jul 21, 2006 at 6:44:16 pm

The bitrate of the HDV format you mention is the same as regular DV. If it's not playing smoothly then possibly your project is setup to some other format.

What are the specs of the system you are using including drive types?

Dave

Return to posts index

redindian
on Jul 21, 2006 at 6:54:54 pm

I have a HP Media Center PC:
P4 3.2GHz Hyper Thread
3GB RAM (was 1GB, added 2GB more, no difference :(
250GB HDD (donno the RPM)
Windows XP Media Center Edition
HP f1405 19" LCD

Project Preset - I was using HDV 720/30p, but since Adobe released an HD100 update 2 weeks back, I tried it, it did make a bit of difference in the m2t playback. But it still jumps, jerks at some points (and CPU load increases to 75-80%)

So I was hoping to do a low-res edit, and export to High res in last step.

Return to posts index

Blast1
on Jul 21, 2006 at 9:28:38 pm

You have two problems 1. your system is slightly underpowered for HDV, 2. It appears you only have one harddrive, you need at least 2 Harddrives, one for the OS and Apps, the other for video related tasks to have proper throughput.

Return to posts index

cow_fan
on Jul 22, 2006 at 10:17:53 am

What is the minimum requirement for HDV? Isn't it that the maximum RAM an application can use is 2GB? What will you do to make a system like his HDV friendly? Is his processor not fast enough?

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Jul 22, 2006 at 3:19:47 pm

The minimum requirement for HDV without using Cineform products is listed as 3.4GHz and 2GB RAM. It is possible to get Premiere Pro to use up to 3GB with a switch but that is really only of value when you have 4GB not 3GB. Remember that Windows takes much of 1GB anyway, and you will often want to open AE or Photoshop even if only temporarily.

The best way to make a system HDV friendly without Cineform is to get a dual core processor, or two processors.

Since I am Cineform's biggest fan, I am amused at the lengths that people will go to avoid getting better quality and faster editing speeds.

Steven
http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Blast1
on Jul 22, 2006 at 11:44:49 pm

>the lengths that people will go to avoid getting better quality and faster editing speeds.<

Hi Steven:
I agree the cineform is a good app, but the extra horsepower payw off in other places, Particularly if you are using something like AFX, Boris and/or 3D apps, also the dual core processors tend to run cooler than the P-IVs

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Jul 23, 2006 at 2:33:32 am

Oh, I agree, and I am getting a new PC built around the new Conroe chip as soon as the guy who is building my new system gets them in. But in my opinion, anyone who edits HDV using Premiere Pro without Aspect HD is crazy. Maybe just a little crazy in the case of people with fantastic new systems. But crazy nonetheless.

Not stupid. Maybe not even ignorant. They just have their priorities mixed up. The value of editing using wavelets instead of what Premiere Pro does to a native M2T is pretty well established. And the realtime effects are a huge timesaver. But hey, I am Cineform's biggest unpaid cheerleader, so take that for what it is worth.

Steven

Return to posts index

alex udell
on Jul 23, 2006 at 7:54:49 pm

Hi Steve...

So PPro does run ok with the 3gb switch?

I've been wondering abot that...

Alex

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Jul 23, 2006 at 8:31:53 pm

This is secondhand information. But reliable enough that my new system will have 4GB of expensive RAM.

Steven

Return to posts index

cow_fan
on Jul 24, 2006 at 5:48:22 am

What's the 3GB switch? How do I turn it on?

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Jul 21, 2006 at 10:04:01 pm

The feature you are quoting did not make it into the final release much to many people's surprise. Including mine.

Steven

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Mar 3, 2015 at 12:48:45 am

Start by Creating your sequence, importing files etc...
Drop your clips into sequence... Save project.

I know you "Downloaded the PRESETS", but did you add them to anything? If not,
Open AME, open any preset by double clicking on it. Now see the top right of the dialogue that has opened up... ...it has a text box, and several buttons next to it. You can import those presets one at a time. You can also get all of them by simply opening AME and selecting the IMPORT from the top right, just above the preset lists, and then finding the .epr file you downloaded.
In media encoder, you go to file, and select open source. Now you can open a file from your system. Once you open it, it shows in the QUEUE, but it's just sitting there. Drag the preset to the file marker in the queue, watch it change... OR ...the marker in the queue has three major sections with small down arrows. You can click the text next to the arrows and it will open the dialogue to change settings. This is less preferable if you are unfamiliar with AME. You can edit the settings in the dialogue, and adjust to taste, selecting the preset list your preset falls under, then the actual setting for the preset, and then adjusting from there.
Now...
You output that file to the same folder as your big file by selecting the output location in AME either in the queue where you see a filename, or in the dialogue where a file with an extension is shown in text (click the text and it will allow you to select an output location). When you're ready, click the PLAY arrow at the top of the AME window.
It will build a small file from your large one with faster playback.
When it finishes...
Move the large file somewhere else. Open your project in premiere. It will ask you to select the file to use for your clips, select your proxy.

Alternative:
Once you have the .epr in AME, you should be able to copy it to the "Previews" folder in your premiere program's application folder under sequence presets. Make sure to send it to the PREVIEWS folder. This will allow you to generate preview files of your proxy type.
Now, instead of creating the proxy in AME, you can simply alter the sequence settings to make a preview with your proxy settings, drop the large clip onto the sequence, render the work area of the sequence. This will create a segmented proxy to use, and if you only render effects and audio afterward, you'll be golden. You should be able to use your previews to speed up rendering of your final output from premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]