ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Defraging

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
Defraging
on Jul 19, 2006 at 3:59:32 am

I'm not sure where to put this, if it's a windows issue or a premiere issue. Anyways, here it is.

I just read in one newsletter: "Don't defrag your hard disks when using Final Cut. It slows everything down. Let Final Cut capture and store your video files in its own way and leave them alone."

In the Sony Vegas' helpfile, it was the other way around. It suggested to defrag the hard drive before capturing and storing video.

How about in Premiere Pro? I always defrag before every session but can't see any difference. Any ideas? Anyone has technical answers for these?

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
Re: Defraging
on Jul 19, 2006 at 5:21:27 am

[clyde villegas] "How about in Premiere Pro? I always defrag before every session but can't see any difference. Any ideas? Anyone has technical answers for these?"

I personally prefer to defrag my hard-drives before a long project. So far, I have seen minor improvements, especially if the computer was slow before the project.

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Wood
on Jul 19, 2006 at 6:53:02 am

Assuming you are using seperate drives, one for Windows & applications, the other(s) for video & audio:

On your Windows drive, you should at defrag weekly or so, or as needed. The amount of fragmentation shouldn't be too much if you are accumulating a lot of junk.

On the media drives, its easier to just delete everything on the drive before beginning a new capture. Or if you can't delete everything, delete everything not needed for the project. Defrag the rest, then capture. You could even do a quick format, but don't pick the wrong drive.

But if you have a project running & working, don't mess with it. Finish your tape, etc., then just delete.

Return to posts index

Craig Howard
on Jul 19, 2006 at 7:54:25 pm

I use Disk Keeper as my Defrag application. It is amazing how fragmented a drive becomes after working on a NLE project (especially a big one). I always defrag after completing a project and doing "the housework".

BTW: I recommend Disk Keeper

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

(Premiere Pro 1.5 / Matrox TRX100 XTreme Pro)

Return to posts index

mbelli
on Jul 20, 2006 at 2:36:26 pm

Disk Keeper is excellent and I highly recommend it as well. Just be careful with external drives such as USB and those in firewire enclosures. On those my version of Disk Keeper seems to think they need to be defragmented every 5-minutes and once it trashed one of my USB drives. On my internal drives, it works flawlessly.

Disk Keeper is also much faster than the Windows defrager, I also used to reformat my drives before starting new projects and stuff, but Disk Keeper defrags so fast, plust SATA drives are fast to begin with -- that although I still do that at times, I don't do it quite as often.

In my opinion, defraging should be done on a Windows PC, don't know why Mac's and Final Cut don't need defraging though. You should have multiple drives as well for NLE, I have a Windows drive, a drive for my DATA, a drive for cache and TMP files and another huge drive for VIDEO. Every so often I format my VIDEO drive entirely and scan thoroughly for disc errors. I also backup with TrueImage and have a few Lacie external drives for project backup. Wish I could get PP2 project manager to trim for archiving but it chokes on most of my complex and longer timelines.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]