ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

remove all gaps / ripple all

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
remove all gaps / ripple all
on Apr 20, 2006 at 8:53:24 pm

I know you can ripple one gap at a time - any way to ripple all at once?

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
Re: remove all gaps / ripple all
on Apr 20, 2006 at 10:28:08 pm

No.

I understand why you would want it, but you might want to consider a change in workflow if you need to do that on a regular basis.

Return to posts index

Craig Howard
on Apr 21, 2006 at 12:34:03 am

Havent tried this myself but ...try SHIFT-CLICK(or whatever it is for multiple select) all the gaps then SHIFT DELETE

Let us know and good luck.

Return to posts index

mike velte
on Apr 21, 2006 at 11:33:34 am

Craig's suggestion does not work. I am with Steve...how did you get all those gaps? Premiere has tools and commands that permit editing in the timeline while rippling the changes at the same time. The Extract command (') will remove frames from the timeline and ripple the delete. Use the i and o keys to set in and out points in the timeline and target the right track, then hit the ' key.

Return to posts index

famsden
on Jan 26, 2007 at 5:58:41 am

Hmm. You don't have gaps on FX tracks between sound effects? We're not editing on a Steenbeck with blank leader between the FX. Excuse the film referance.

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Aug 25, 2008 at 4:05:16 pm

I know this is an ancient question, but it still shows up in Google, so it's probably worth answering. There is a way to remove all the gaps at once. Here's what you do:

1) If you don't have an empty video track, create one.
2) Put a video in the empty track that spans the entire area with the gaps that need removing.
3) Select all the footage that needs gaps removed and drag it onto the new track so that it cuts holes in the video (take care to move it only vertically).
4) Move the still-selected footage back to the original track (again, only vertically). The dummy video is now all chopped up to exactly match the gaps in the original footage.
5) Select all the dummy video and SHIFT-DELETE to ripple delete it. If necessary, delete the now-empty track.

If your project is so complex that other tracks prevent this strategy from working, you can always cut and paste the gapped-footage to an empty sequence to remove the gaps and then cut and paste it back.

Return to posts index

Tom Simone
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:38:41 pm

Thanks for the ingenious solution, worked great for me.

In response to previous posters who said change workflow, I ended up with lots of gaps after importing several hundred still images for a time lapse.

The gaps appeared when I reduced the clips' duration.

Maybe I could have done something differently?

http://www.tomsimone.co.uk
http://www.tomsimoneweddings.co.uk

Return to posts index

Zahoor Sakharkar
on Apr 8, 2013 at 8:46:36 pm

wow that's an ingenious solution and to further add to this if you have several tracks with gaps in them
a) create a transparent video as suggested spanning the entire timeline above your video tracks
b)Select all clips (with gaps) on one of your track using the track selection tool, then change to the normal select tool
c)Move those clips up into the transparent video and then back on their original track without moving them horizontally.
d) Repeat the process above with the clips on all the other tracks.
e)Then select the entire transparent video track and Shift+delete to close all gaps

ps you also get the gaps if you use trim tail/head to CTI - which is available in edius as standard trimming tool via keyboard keys N and M but the feature needs to be enabled through keyboard customisation in premiere (my shortcuts are M and N). If you haven't tried it give it a try as I find it invaluable in speed editing

Return to posts index

Greg Leslie
on Jun 22, 2016 at 11:13:37 pm

It doesn't have to be transparent video, either. I usually use a Matte Color clip and make it red so I can spot any leftover pieces I may have left on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Phillip Goodwin
on Jul 14, 2014 at 11:51:08 pm

Perfect thank you!

Return to posts index

Rex Lint
on Oct 28, 2015 at 11:57:18 pm

Thanks man!!

This works great. Way to just answer the question instead of critiquing someone's workflow. There are a millon ways to edit the right way.

Thanks for the info man!!

rex lint
rexlint1@mac.com
rexlintproductions.com
Search Rex Lint on Vimeo to see my work

Return to posts index

Jayson Moo-Young
on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:44:50 am

Did something like this a while back and couldn't for the life of me remember what was done. 10/10 method. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eddie Maldonado
on Nov 9, 2015 at 11:06:44 pm

Thanks for chiming in on an "ancient" topic, Jared! Though for me it's Option+Delete on a Mac. Perhaps it changed since you mentioned this 7 years ago lol. I'm late to the game...

For those wondering why on Earth we have so many gaps, I got used to collecting selects from a string out and nudging them up in FCP. Also if you're prepping a sequence for color correct and you just need clips only, you could end up with a ton of gaps that you'd need to close. On FCP you could bookend the gap sequence at the head and tail with clips on V1 (everything else on V2) and then select the gap between the two clips on V1and just hold Delete till the gaps are closed. This works just as well.

--
eddie maldonado | http://www.eddit.net

Return to posts index

Chris Vile
on Jun 22, 2016 at 9:06:19 pm

Jo,
this is sooo awesome!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PERFECT SOLUTION !
Made my day.

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

Austin Bollinger
on Jun 30, 2016 at 4:52:19 pm

This worked perfectly for me! Sounds like a lot of steps, but really it only took 3 seconds–I used an adjustment layer as my dummy footage.

As for those wondering why we edit this way–I like to drag all of my B Roll into the timeline, cut the pieces I like, then slide the unused B Roll further down the timeline. Once I do this, I ripple delete all of my selected B Roll while leaving the gaps in the unused B Roll.

If I need more B Roll later, I can easily see what I've already used by seeing the gaps in the leftover footage.

Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Carlos Cardoso
on Apr 29, 2015 at 3:31:31 pm

A vídeo with the steps to Ripple delete all at same time.

Return to posts index

Mateus Ribeiro
on Jul 31, 2016 at 2:37:05 am

When we talk about computers shouldn't be any "you can't do this" or "change your workflow" answers. There are many reasons to end up with a timeline full of gaps. This is an important function and this thread has exactly 10 years old, Adobe should implement a simple script that does what is going on in the video (if it's really that hard to detect the gaps). They even had this function already done on Adobe Encore...

Return to posts index

Christina Crawley
on Oct 6, 2017 at 3:54:17 am

This was a drop down menu feature in FCP so i think it is totally reasonable to expect the same out of Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]