ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Best uncompressed output

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
flightmaster
Best uncompressed output
on Oct 9, 2005 at 7:37:42 pm

Hi All,

I have heard some conflicting messages, espececially relating to the MS DV Output (causing some artifact, and being troublesome in DVD rendering).

I have been trying to burn some DVD content, using DV footage edited in premiere (24p 2:3:3:2, 0.9). What is the best way to export a finished edit, uncompressed, out of Premiere Pro?

Also, I can't seem to be able to export a decent, uncompressed, file in Quicktime format, is there some trick? I know that besides AVI, this is the main format (if not the preferred format), but I can't seem to get a hi-end export.

Sorry about these basic questions, answers are much appreciated.

Best Wishes
cP

Christian T. Petersen
Pentium 4.
4G Ram
260 HD

Return to posts index

Craig Howard
Re: Best uncompressed output
on Oct 9, 2005 at 7:48:33 pm

I believe it is DVavi (un-recompressed / lossless).

You need to check the un recompress checkbox to achieve this.

Craig
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

(Premiere Pro 1.5 / Matrox TRX100 XTreme Pro)

Return to posts index

Jack Kelly
on Oct 10, 2005 at 8:05:12 am

Um... DVavi isn't uncompressed! It's compressed with the DV codec!

If your aim is to get an uncompressed AVI out of PPro then go to Export > Movie > Settings and set file type to "Microsoft AVI" and then, under video options, select "Compressor: none".

If your aim is to get an uncompressed QT out of PPro then set file type to "QuickTime" and compressor to "TIFF".

If your aim is to burn a DVD then you have three options:

1) use PPro's "Export to DVD" function

2) or use Adobe Media Encoder (from within PPro) to export an MPEG-2 file and then use a DVD authoring program to burn this to a DVD

3) or export uncompressed from PPro and use a DVD authoring program (like Encore) to compress the video for you.

Hope this helps,
Jack

====================
Jack Kelly
London
Dir / Prod / Camera
====================

Return to posts index

Don Huckleberry
on Oct 11, 2005 at 5:22:31 am

For uncompressed QT, select QT then none for compressor (like the .avi) not TIFF.

You need to make MPEG 2 for the DVD, so you should export it out of PPro with the Adobe Media Encoder. Select the MPEG2-DVD presets and start with the "NTSC DV 4x3 High Quality 7Mb VBR 2 Pass SurCode for Dolby Digital 5.1" preset. You get three free encodes with the SurCode encoder, so before you render this, switch to MPEG or PCM audio or if you are doing surround, you probably need to purchase the 5.1 encoder. The encoder will make the .m2v and a corresponding .wav or .mpa depending on which you select. Note, the VBR will "render" the file one time then it does it again. The first time, it is just looking at the file to decide where to vary the bitrate (hence the name Variable Bit Rate). So this process takes longer. If you are not concerned with saving space, you can use the CBR preset which is above the VBR preset.

If you render an .avi with DV compression out of PPro and import it into your DVD software to encode to MPEG2, you are double compressing and it will degrade quality.

If you render uncompressed .avi or .mov and import into DVD software and encode to MPEG2, you have a huge intermediate file to deal with.

If you plan it out properly, encoding the MPEG 2 out of PPro is the most logical thing to do for most situations.

For example: you have a majority of video that is DV25 and put some uncompressed graphics over the top, either supers or CG stuff or whatever. When you render to DV, you get nasty compression chunks and artifacts around the edges of the text or in gradients etc.. You could retain the quality and render out of PPRO as uncompressed .avi or .mov, but that again is a huge file and the DV content does not benefit AND you still have to compress it to MPEG2. The graphics do look good, but the file is hard to work with. If you render to MPEG2 as I specify above you don't render to DV then MPEG2 (no concatenation from dual compression) and you have a decent sized file.

Note there is a bug with Hyperthreading and the Adobe Media Encoder, there is a patch from MainConcept to fix it.

Don

Return to posts index

flightmaster
on Oct 17, 2005 at 4:25:24 am

Don,

Thanks a ton for the detailed reply, makes perfect sense, and this worked well.

A little confused about the hyperthreading and the patch... what is the problem again? Wasn't able to locate the patch on Mainconcept -- but I was not 100% sure what I was looking for.

In either case, thanks a whole ton for the detailed info!

cP
FFG

Christian T. Petersen
Pentium 4.
4G Ram
260 HD

Return to posts index

Don Huckleberry
on Oct 19, 2005 at 5:20:12 am

Here's the doc from Adobe, they have the link to the update in it.

Good luck

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330380.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]