ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

1 minute video with only photos and titles is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY slow in a monster laptop

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yiannis Botetsios
1 minute video with only photos and titles is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY slow in a monster laptop
on Aug 1, 2020 at 1:11:06 pm

Hi Community.
I am so surprised with that.
Sorry for so much info but I want to describe the problem cause it is really serious and can not find anything on the internet. 

I am not a pro in premiere pro but I have used it a lot. And that was the reason that I decided to buy a monster laptop to be able to edit like a human being with no crazy moments that we really want to throw the laptop from the window. I always experienced trouble with editing. My previous laptop which was strong enough (32 RAM) was striving. I decided to buy a monster. 

I bought an AERO GIGABYTE with 
- NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2080 Super with Max-Q Design 8 GB
-  64 GB Dual Channel DDR4 3200MHz System Memory (2 x 32 GB)
-  Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2 TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - Up to 3,500 MB/s Read - 3,300 MB/s Write  WHICH IS EMPTY
- Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - Up to 3,500 MB/s Read-3,300 MB/s Write - WHICH IS EMPTY as well
- Intel® 10th Generation Comet Lake i9-10980HK 8 Core - 16 Thread Processor, 2.4 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 5.3GHz), 16 MB Smart Cache
I have windows 10
and I use the premiere pro 2020, v14.01

I just bought the laptop, its really new. I was hoping that now I will not have at all the old slugs and lags and moreover my first video it had to be only with photos, music, titles and a small 4k video (1 sec), in total 1,17 minutes.

The effects I have used was only transitions effects (like the zoom blur transition) for:
- each titles that are 4k, in total 19 titles
- each photo (good quality from DSLR and less good from mobile) in total 57 photos
- 1 video 4k (less than 2 secs)
- an audio
- some whoosh for the transitions
- some snow effect from a video
- at the end a letter to particles video from after effects which never lagged at all.
All in all the effects I used where not large at all to slow down a laptop like that.

So the thing is that everything was normal with the import etc. After beginning adding some effects and especially after adding the 4k titles everything started to slow down. At the end, each time that I was trying to changing sth, it was unbelievably slow. I deleted a comma from a title and it took more than 1.5 minute so that the system was normal and I could playback and edit again. And if I did not render I could not see anything. It was so slow and sluggy that it was impossible to see. I have optimized of course premiere pro with 57.9 GB RAM fro premiere pro and only 6 for the system. I have deleted cache. I have done all that is needed. 

I saw that the screen became black one moment and I could not see anything. I had to change from mercury Cuda to software only otherwise it would not show anything. 
I edited everything in blind mode (as with my previous laptop). I mean that to find the cut and the point I wanted to add the effect I had to pass multiple times, by rendering, and rendering again, guessing where I have to put the effect and playing back. 
At the end I succeed finishing the video but the export in media encoder failed. 
The reason was that I had to export it with engine software only.
Finally I exported the file (1,17 minutes) in 6 hours...

I have searched over the whole internet and I have done every possible optimization. My laptop is brand new and a monstrocity to have problems like that. Could you please tell me what is wrong?

I appreciate your help
Kind regards
Yiannis

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: 1 minute video with only photos and titles is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY slow in a monster laptop
on Aug 2, 2020 at 7:02:14 am

is that 4k by chance h.264? did you try making a cineform proxy?
a 5ghz computer without intel quicksync can only playback 4k h.264 with very little effects.
Also, over prioritizing memory to Premiere when using Dynamic Link to After Effects can actually create an artificial bottleneck.

Return to posts index

Yiannis Botetsios
Re: 1 minute video with only photos and titles is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY slow in a monster laptop
on Aug 2, 2020 at 9:28:48 am

Hi Chris and thank you so much for your answer.
I am not so advanced in terms.
Do you mean if the little 4k video of 3 sec was an h.264? I checked the properties of the clip and it is MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 .
Otherwise if you did not ask that, yes the export settings I chose was H.264.
I did not know what is a cineform proxy until you mentioned it but I just checked this video

where Colin says that if your footage is in H.264 which is compressed you should never change it to cineform cause you can not add metadata and that the only thing that it does is to make the file larger with no reason.
Could you please explain me a little more the last thing you mention? '' a 5ghz computer without intel quicksync can only playback 4k h.264 with very little effects. Also, over prioritizing memory to Premiere when using Dynamic Link to After Effects can actually create an artificial bottleneck. ''
What should I do here? How could I change that?
Do you know why the legacy titles as well as the photos (this is the main problem of the sequence) were so large and heavy that the laptop was slugging so much? Did I choose sth wrong?
Thank you so much for your help Chris!
I appreciate really much.
Kind regards
Yiannis

Return to posts index

Yiannis Botetsios
on Aug 2, 2020 at 9:47:03 am

Hi again Chris.
I did not know what quick sync video was and as you told me that I do not have it I did not check. But now I checked and apparently I have it. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201838/intel-core-i9-1...
So it is even worse that my laptop is so slow even if it is so powerful and it has in addition this quick sync video by INTEL.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 2, 2020 at 3:09:53 pm

Steps to enable Hardware-accelerated Decoding: for intel quick sync(you may also have to enable it in your bios)
Navigate to Preferences > Media
Select Enable hardware accelerated decoding (requires restart)
Restart Adobe Premiere Pro

set memory to premiere to half for premiere and half for After Effects if using both at the same time in dynamic link.
Select Edit > Preferences, and select Memory in the Preferences dialog box

if you have quicksync enabled and premiere playback is stil slow, you can also use prores, dnxhd and others for a proxy if you like. just basically anything that is intraframe should work well.

Return to posts index

Yiannis Botetsios
on Aug 3, 2020 at 7:46:34 am

Hi Chris and thank you so much for your help.
- Hardware-accelerated decoding was already enabled
- I do not use dynamic link between AE and premiere pro so the memory is given to the app that is open, in this case, premiere pro is given 59,7 GB of RAM...
- Yes I can use proxies for the videos. But again the main problem of this sequence was not a video. It was still images and legacy titles. Is there anyway to have a kind of proxies for those as well?
Thanks again for your help
Kind regards
Yiannis

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 3, 2020 at 3:23:40 pm

presize the images smaller. extremely large image sizes aren't handled very well in premiere. try psd at the same size as video sequence and see if the playback speed improves.

Return to posts index

Yiannis Botetsios
on Aug 3, 2020 at 3:59:05 pm

Thank you so much for your answer Chris.
And what about the titles?
Is there anyway to make the smoother?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 3, 2020 at 5:11:03 pm

i dunno about the titles. i think you can make the same size as sequence too so premiere won't have to resize. is the new titler faster? i haven't compared them speedwise. is gpu enabled as default renderer?

Return to posts index

Yiannis Botetsios
on Aug 4, 2020 at 9:27:13 am

Hi Chris and thanks for your answer.
Yes of course the titles that I had were of the same size of the projet (4k).
But when I added effects on them it was a disaster.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 3, 2020 at 10:14:18 pm

[Yiannis Botetsios] "where Colin says that if your footage is in H.264 which is compressed you should never change it to cineform cause you can not add metadata and that the only thing that it does is to make the file larger with no reason."

In general Colin makes very informative videos. However, in this case his info is somewhat misleading. He's correct that if you create proxies there's no need to convert H264 footage to Cineform since Cineform files take up a lot of hard drive space. But what he neglects to mention is that 4k H264 media is not what you want to be working with in edit at all. And therefore I'd argue that a better workflow is to convert all H264 media to Cineform instead of making proxies. The benefit is that you won't use the H264 media at any stage of your project and instead, you'll be able to work with maximum efficiency from rough cut to final delivery.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
http://tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Yiannis Botetsios
on Aug 4, 2020 at 9:29:04 am

Hi Greg and thank you for your answer and argument ☺
I have never done it before. So you say that I have to convert (by using proxies) the H.264 to cineform? And after at the export I ll put it again in H.264? Did I understand correctly?
Thanks so much
Kind regards
Yiannis

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 4, 2020 at 4:02:38 pm

I'm advocating that you convert (transcode) H264 media to Cineform instead of making proxies.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
http://tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]