ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Proxy voodoo, what am I missing?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Aaron Rosapepe
Proxy voodoo, what am I missing?
on Jul 16, 2020 at 2:20:40 am
Last Edited By Aaron Rosapepe on Jul 16, 2020 at 2:25:33 am

I am in the process of setting up post workflow for an eight episode series. While honing in the proxy workflow I found that the "Prores Low Resolution Proxy" found within Premiere gives me the resolution I need with the small files I am aiming for.

Here's where the voodoo comes in. These files are "1024x540" which shouldn't be the right aspect ratio but look fine when utilizing the proxy workflow within Premiere. All good and fine but I need more flexibility when defining the audio portion of this proxy so I head on over to Media Encoder. I make a preset with the exact specs as the one inside of Premiere but when I use this new ingest preset, it kicks out a proxy with black bars on the side due to the incorrect aspect ratio.

To further add insult to injury, if I try and make the correct ratio of "1024x576" I end up with a proxy that is the correct aspect ratio but it is now over twice the amount of disk space as the "1024x540" version. What kind of sorcery is this?!

(I've included screen shots of the Premiere preset and the one that comes out of Media Encoder. Both have the same aspect ratio and settings)

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Proxy voodoo, what am I missing?
on Jul 16, 2020 at 4:13:02 am

proxies have to be multiples evenly divisible and same aspect ratio and pixel aspect ratio. There's two kinds of ratios.

Return to posts index

Aaron Rosapepe
on Jul 16, 2020 at 10:49:33 am

Hi Chris,
What I am trying to figure out is why the "Prores low resolution proxy" preset within Premiere kicks out a 1024x540 file that still looks correct in a 1920x1080 timeline when proxy mode is engaged but the same specs done within media encoder, kick out a file with black bars on the side.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 16, 2020 at 11:54:05 am

"why the "Prores low resolution proxy" preset within Premiere kicks out a 1024x540 file that still looks correct in a 1920x1080 timeline when proxy mode is engaged but the same specs done within media encoder, kick out a file with black bars on the side."

Because the pixel aspect ratio is different. you have to dig deeper into the Video setting to change the pixel aspect ratio.

"if I try and make the correct ratio of "1024x576" I end up with a proxy that is the correct aspect ratio but it is now over twice the amount of disk space as the "1024x540" version. What kind of sorcery is this?!"

When making your own Proxy settings lower the quality of the file (in ProRes choose Proxy, in .h264 lower the bit rate.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Aaron Rosapepe
on Jul 16, 2020 at 11:59:11 am

Thanks Herb. We are sticking with prores proxy QT mov for this project however. We will probably go with 1280x720 even though the file sizes will be bigger.

Mainly just trying to solve the riddle of how Premiere gets the 1024x540 to look right when doing it all in Premiere. The preset is located here if anyone else wants to try it out.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 16, 2020 at 12:02:45 pm

The pixel aspect ratio of their standard proxy setup is not square, not set at 1:1.

Don't know why they do it that way, I had the same surprise when I first started using the proxy workflow.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]