on Jul 12, 2020 at 11:55:24 pm

Aloha all!
I recently upgraded to CC 2020.
  • Premiere 14.2.0 (Build 47)
  • OS 10.14.6
  • 27" iMac, late 2015
  • 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
  • 32 GB RAM

I'm editing some HD footage (1920x1080@29.97p) from a Sony A7Riii. The system will play the footage preview smoothly, but scrubbing is right out. Any attempt at scrubbing, whether initiated via keyboard or mouse, causes the footage to choke, lag, and stutter. Once I stop trying to scrub, there's a pause of about 2 seconds, then the image matches the playhead again, and I can resume playing.

The choking seems limited to the preview function. Dropping the footage onto the Timeline and scrubbing it there works more-or-less as expected. This is really making logging the footage painful!

The footage is located on an external drive, a Samsung T5 SSD. Connection is via an adapter cable, from the iMacs USB 2 port to the drive's USB-C.

This should not be choking. I was able to process similar video without issue on CC 2019. I know my computer isn't new, but come on! This is as mainstream and vanilla as footage comes in the 21st century!

Any thoughts on how to get my system to behave?

Mahalo!
Tom G

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Premiere 2020 choking on simple footage
on Jul 13, 2020 at 5:01:21 am

maybe you had h.264 decoding acceleration. was your last build a Intel? they had that feature. now, the h.264 is mostly offloaded to the gpu in the render process. This may sound a little wild, but intel's onboard Quicksync could actually be more useful for playback than a super expensive workstation at 5.2ghz without Quicksync!

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/gpu-acceleration-and-hardware-enc...

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Jul 13, 2020 at 6:31:30 am

I've been a Mac user for decades. It's really not a personal choice, but what work supports. :shrug:
Anyway, I can't believe its hardware when the system worked as expected before I "updated" to the current Adobe. I see a few obvious possibilities:
  • There's a preference, or preferences, what got changed when I swapped over
  • Adobe 2020 is more of a resource hog than Adobe 2019 was
  • Something is wiggy in the codec used by the Sony A7. Maybe it's a licensing tiff... Apple is notorious for those

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 13, 2020 at 3:20:11 pm

you could check if Quicksync is turned on in prefs? see my above link for instructions.

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Jul 13, 2020 at 7:30:32 pm

Score one for obscure preferences with silly names!
THANK YOU!

Why in the world would the system default to "don't use the available resources designed for this task?"

Again, THANKS! You've takes some of the frustration out of the tedium of logging!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 13, 2020 at 7:51:31 pm

it used to be on by default, but it caused everyone's premiere to crash if their cpu didn't support the instructions. glad it worked. it's cheaper than buying a new computer, right? lol.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]