ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Old AVI files -- unsupported codec

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerel Peterson
Old AVI files -- unsupported codec
on Jul 9, 2020 at 2:58:58 pm

I made some hi-def (HDV) basketball videos from the 2009-10 season using Premiere. I never made Blu-ray DVDs of them because at the time, none of the players had Blu-ray players.

I still have the original video files on a hard drive and decided to burn them to Blu-Ray DVDs, but when I open the AVI files, all I get is the audio--just black for video. Sometimes I get a message saying that they were encoded with a codec that is no longer available.

Do I have any options to get these videos back?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Old AVI files -- unsupported codec
on Jul 9, 2020 at 3:30:18 pm

Gonna need more info as to what platform and version of Premier your on.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 9, 2020 at 3:42:06 pm

Not sure what codec may be in your AVI file, but you could always try converting them to h264 with Handbrake.
TC

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 9, 2020 at 8:18:59 pm

Windows 10

I have Premier Pro CS 6 (disc installation) installed as well as current version of CC. I would imagine I made the videos with CS 4 or CS 5 back in 09-10.

Handbrake seems like it might do the trick, but right now the video it's giving me changes frames only every couple of seconds (I'm not very familiar with Handbrake and all the settings that may be causing this)

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Jul 10, 2020 at 12:14:22 am

Have you tried AVI ?

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Jul 10, 2020 at 12:19:04 am

I mean VLC....sorry

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 10, 2020 at 1:34:50 am

VLC does worse than Handbrake -- even after converting there is no video at all. When trying to play the video it says it needs to fix the index, when it gets done it says that it could not decode M703

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 10, 2020 at 2:57:54 am

some progress -- it looks like I made these videos back when I had a Matrox video editing board installed--I owned 3 different ones in the early 2000s, but I had thought I was finished with them by 09-10, but apparently not.

So, I downloaded the VFW Matrox codec, but with that installed, neither version of Premiere will even load up -- it gets stuck on 'Loading Exporter AVI.PRM', which apparently is a known problem with the Matrox codec pack.

I am getting Handbrake to give me several frames per second, but not even close to 30 FPS. Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to change in Handbrake?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 10, 2020 at 5:05:16 pm

in VLC under tools, codec information, there's a fourcc code inside parenthesis. that's the codec you need to download. if you can get a vfw version of it, use avisynth to repair it in Full processing mode.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 12, 2020 at 11:08:46 pm

HDV cannot be avi. HDV is mpeg.
Run a file through Mediainfo and post screenshot in treeview here on forum.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 13, 2020 at 4:20:33 am

The ORIGINAL video was HDV, after editing I used a Matrox VFW codec (M703) and saved it as an AVI. That is the only format I still have of this basketball season. I downloaded and installed Matrox VFW but it caused Premiere to lock up on loading. I deleted the offending file from the Adobe folder, but I would think the codecs are still there to be used by VLC or Handbrake--yet they still don't work. (handbrake comes close, nothing else works at all).

I'm in over my head with this stuff -- I've never heard of a lot of the things I've been told to use for this problem!

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 13, 2020 at 6:34:34 pm

You may need to go to Matrox support for this one.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 13, 2020 at 8:12:07 pm

I looked at their user forum page last week, the newest post is over 18 months old. I can't post a question without having a serial number or my old forum account password, and that is linked to a long defunct e-mail system.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 14, 2020 at 10:15:20 pm
Last Edited By Ann Bens on Jul 14, 2020 at 10:17:37 pm

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 15, 2020 at 9:02:22 pm

?? I'm hoping you have some more advice.

Anyone know of a company that would be able to do the transfer if I sent them the files? I tried a place called 'Legacybox' with no luck, no luck locally yet, either.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 16, 2020 at 12:06:53 am

can you dropbox a file? I can run it through virtualdubmod and see what comes up.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 17, 2020 at 1:17:24 pm

I won't have access to those files for about a week, but will try drop box after that.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 29, 2020 at 5:58:43 pm

I just created a DropBox account and uploaded one of the files. It actually plays from DropBox as well as it did using Handbrake -- a few frames/second. Premiere won't even import them.

I have no idea how to make this available to particular individuals. Let me know if you are willing to give it a try and I will read the FAQs on DropBox to figure it out.

To sum up the problem from a previous post: The ORIGINAL video was HDV, after editing I used a Matrox VFW codec (M703) and saved it as an AVI. Installing the Matrox VFW codecs cause Premiere to crash.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on Jul 29, 2020 at 6:01:15 pm

I will be leaving in a few hours for a place where I won't have internet access for a day or two, so might not be able to get back to you before Friday night or Sat.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 30, 2020 at 3:19:02 am

you can always do a private message for password protected files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]