ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

can you normalize in the Track Mixer?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Frazier
can you normalize in the Track Mixer?
on Jul 9, 2020 at 8:26:51 am

I'd like to normalize various clips on a track so that the max peak of each clips is raised or lowered to a given level. I know I can do this in the timeline if I select all the clips, right-click, go to audio gain, etc. But, this is destructive and I may need to make changes to the edit later, so I don't want to do that.

I also don't want to use:
1- the Essential Sound panel as that's gotten very messy in the past.
2- a compressor as that will affect the levels w/i each clip.

So, is there a way to do this or some kind of inexpensive filter that would do the job?

Thanks for any help!!

Return to posts index

Andy Ford
Re: can you normalize in the Track Mixer?
on Jul 10, 2020 at 3:06:47 am

Normalization is destructive. You can duplicate your audio and put it on a different track so you have a (muted) track that you didn't apply it to in case you need to make changes

-------------------------------------------------
Video Producer / Digital Marketer / Reviewer / Author
http://www.AndyFordVideo.com

Return to posts index

Samuel Frazier
on Jul 10, 2020 at 6:37:15 am

Thanks very much for that and for the workaround. I really wish normalization was not destructive. It would be very helpful to have that as a 1st stage of mixing but be able to turn it on and off as needed for experimentation and so future adjustments could be made quickly.

So, there's definitely no other filter that would achieve much the same thing w/o compressing the track in some way?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 10, 2020 at 5:00:01 pm

hmmm. i know, in at least Audition, Normalization is not destructive in a 32 bit audio environment.
Also, look into using BT. 1770 LUFs -23 instead of normalization as it uses perceptual math to even out loudness. With regular normalization, one little spike for even a pico-second will jam up the whole thing. I'll have to look into whether premiere is destroying audio with just normalization. that just doesn't sound right. That would mean its audio engine isn't 32 bits...

Return to posts index

Andy Ford
on Jul 10, 2020 at 11:27:53 pm

Chris, good to know if that is the case. Everything I read usually suggests it's destructive, but regardless I usually manually keyframe my audisoand then use a compressor. Also, if normalizing, I feel I get better results doing it on a clip by clip basis versus a sequence.

Video Producer / Digital Marketer / Reviewer / Author
http://www.AndyFordVideo.com

Return to posts index

Samuel Frazier
on Jul 11, 2020 at 6:00:25 am

Thank you very much for that and yes, if you could let us know what you find, I think we'd all appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]