ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Seeking advice on creating slot machine wheel effect (sort of)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Davis
Seeking advice on creating slot machine wheel effect (sort of)
on Jul 5, 2020 at 10:54:55 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Davis on Jul 5, 2020 at 10:56:27 pm

I’d like to create an animated title where each letter is rapidly changing in place, somewhat blurred, but you can just make out that it’s letters that are changing. Then the leftmost letter stops, then the next, and so on until the entire title is revealed. The effect should be similar to slot machine wheels, but I don’t want the letters sliding up from the bottom and disappearing out the top of each letter place. Rather, just appearing and disappearing in place, if that makes sense.

I can imagine how to do this by putting each letter on its own track, offset by the amount of time I want each to appear, but I can see that creating a pretty cumbersome project. Thought I’d check here first for any better ideas. Thanks for any tips.

I’m willing to do this in AE, but I’m more experienced in PP, so that’s my preference.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Seeking advice on creating slot machine wheel effect (sort of)
on Jul 6, 2020 at 4:42:35 am

Unless Premiere has a built in preset, it would be too cumbersome to try to do it in Premiere. Btw, I googled "slot machine text preset" and a log of stuff came up. You can buy a pre-made template or code it in AE. It's up to you.

just replace letter with number here.

Return to posts index

Jeff Davis
on Jul 6, 2020 at 2:59:53 pm

Thanks, Chris, but I don’t want to duplicate the slot machine effect, with the characters sliding in and out of view. I want them to just appear and disappear in place.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 7, 2020 at 3:58:49 am

appear and disappear in place? cross dissolve or straight cut? If that's the case, a simple keyframe animation in premiere should work with a blur effect in-between like a modern transition effect done at character level? I'm trying to visualize what you're trying to do and can't imagine a slot machine like that!

Return to posts index

Jeff Davis
on Jul 7, 2020 at 4:08:13 am

It isn’t a slot machine effect That was just the best approximation I could come up with for the headline. What you described is what I’m going for. It just seems like, in PP, it would take 26 tracks for each letter in the title, which would be pretty cumbersome.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 7, 2020 at 4:24:30 am

It would be a lot easier in AE because it has built in per character properties and you could precomp any animation. Here's a gif preview of all the AE text presets.

The 3D Fall Back Scramble & Blur under 3D text looks somewhat close to what you are talking about.
A few tweaks would nail it fairly quickly unless you wanted random letters that aren't part of the original un-scrambled message.

https://blog.motionisland.com/after-effects-presets-text-animation/#.XwP2n2...

Return to posts index

Jeff Davis
on Jul 7, 2020 at 11:33:57 am

Aah, that or several others on that page should do the trick. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]