ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

What are the downsides of upgrading my iMac to OS Catalina

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Doug Lyons
What are the downsides of upgrading my iMac to OS Catalina
on May 11, 2020 at 3:46:26 pm

I have a fairly robust 2015 5K iMac and am running The next to last versions of all the Adobe Creative suite applications. My system was running quite smoothly until this past month and I'm considering cleaning my entire system and upgrading to Catalina.
I'd like to get opinions on any downsides to doing this for Premier and After Effects. I'm currently between projects.
But I've heard that going to the new 64 bit operating system might cause me to lose some plugins and other 3rd party software.
How do I anticipate the downsides of this. And will going to 64 bit for a 5 year old machine bog it down?

Thanks for any feedback.

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

Doug Lyons
Re: What are the downsides of upgrading my iMac to OS Catalina
on May 11, 2020 at 4:04:35 pm

I think I found some answers on the Mac OS forums here in Creative Cow about looking at my "legacy"software to see what will no longer run.

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 12, 2020 at 6:58:47 am

I'd flip the question.
What are the advantages Catalina brings you on your hardware?

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Merlin Vandenbossche
on May 12, 2020 at 7:21:07 am

Doing a fresh install is a good idea. But I would refrain from upgrading to 10.15 IMHO. I am about to rebuild the post production suites for my employer, doing fresh installs as well. My 2015 and 2017 iMacs I am going to bring up to to Mojave (from High Sierra) instead, I have two new machines including a Mac Pro which will force my hand into Catalina for those two suites. For those I already know of a number of issues I will face, hoping not to cross any too unexpected ones. I know security settings will require special attention, I will lose support of some older software we were using (32 bit) and I am aware I might need to fiddle with terminal to get proper smb 10gBe sharing to work. If choice was mine I would have all machines on Mojave instead.

I am not aware of any real advantages 10.15 will have for us, maybe others know more of that.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 12, 2020 at 12:56:48 pm

I had to do a few 2013 MPs from a fresh install.
Some of my co-workers went ahead and upgraded from Mojave without my supervision.
A few of the systems were down for a week due to all the issues with Adobe CC 2019/2020.
The fresh install made it all go away.
Now we don't do any odd legacy apps with the graphics team and the one that runs Premiere hasn't been used since I got my 2019 MP.
So as far as FCPX, Adobe CC 2020, Maya, and Resolve, it works.
We kept the 2013 MP Avid/Pro Tools in the studio to High Sierra.
Most of my team is laid off due to COVID and I haven't had a chance to upgrade everything yet.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on May 13, 2020 at 7:07:51 pm

Currently, you are most likely on a 64-bit OS - High Sierra maybe? You don't say what OS. Apple has been doing 64-bit for some time. I wouldn't expect any changes caused by that performance, other than you won't have any 32-bit support.

As has been noted, some people have had issues with upgrades that a full install usually takes care of.

A few months ago, my co-worker and I both did our trash can Mac Pros to Catalina - upgrade - without too many problems. Biggest issue was the new security and working with Adobe projects/documents on external hard drives that weren't formatted with the Apple file system. So if you have external shared storage, we have a Facilis, you will want to check with your manufacturer on an update. Otherwise your projects and documents will not save correctly and they will become useless at that point.

If you do go for it, good luck! :)

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]