ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Teaching form home - Improving audio of lectures recorded on laptop mic

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Samuels
Teaching form home - Improving audio of lectures recorded on laptop mic
on May 10, 2020 at 9:07:52 am

Hi.

I work at a Unversity in England and have been tasked with editing lectures recorded by our academics before they are uploaded for student access. The main issue I'm encountering is the poor quality of the narration. The academics don't have access to a mic and we don't want to get into needing to sync phone audio recordings to the video so I'm looking for the simplest way to effectively improve the quality of the narration.

The main issues are low-level recordings (too quiet), uneven volumes (loud then quiet), sonically poor (EQ issues) and they are often a little noisy. Here's an example: 14133_audioexample.mp3.zip

Any work needs to be done in Premiere Pro and I really need it to be as quick and simple a process as possible as there are a lot of lectures to get through and I need to teach others with very little editing experience how to do it too.

Could someone suggest an effective approach?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Graham Tees
Re: Teaching form home - Improving audio of lectures recorded on laptop mic
on May 10, 2020 at 12:02:01 pm

Could you take it into Audition and do the corrections there?

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on May 10, 2020 at 12:16:40 pm

I'd really like to keep it in PP, if at all possible.

Return to posts index

Graham Tees
on May 10, 2020 at 12:29:17 pm

I don't use PP myself, so I don't know it's capabilities. From the variety of problems you're facing I would use Audition as it has some powerful features for correcting things. You are able to get right in to the waveform and also the spectral frequency (which really helps when getting rid of noise).

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 11, 2020 at 12:29:24 am

you can also use the audio equalizer to weight different frequencies.(some mics need more bass low end frequencies)

premiere has a new noise reduction tool from audition.

you may also have reverb issues if the recording was done around hard walls.

after all that, I'd use audio compression to make it easier to listen to.

then set final out LUFS to -14db for youtube. using automatch loudness settings.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 11, 2020 at 6:24:45 am

Get the lectures usb headsets.
That's the answer.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Tod Hopkins
on May 11, 2020 at 1:19:26 pm

Excellent answer. BTW if you tried noise reduction in 2018, try again. The noise reduction filter was next to useless in 2018, but I've just finished using the 2019 version to filter the same interviews it failed on in 2018. The result was impressive. I was able to use the filter at very low levels (10%) and restricted to high and low end (most of the noise was low) to elimate significant HVAC noise on interviews recorded at too-low level without altering the voice in any way I could hear.

I feel you on the need to keep it simple. When you are working with low budget, hour-plus single takes production, it really needs to be simple and fast.

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]