ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Playback Lag/waiting for image to catch up.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
Playback Lag/waiting for image to catch up.
on May 9, 2020 at 4:19:30 am

I know there have been many, many posts about this, and I've read through most and tried a number of settings, cleared cache, rebooted, and burned sage as part of an exorcism, but can't get this one figured out.

Using Premiere Pro 13.1 (Floating underwear). I have tried upgrading in the past but it was a disaster. Currently on Mojave on an iMac late 2015 that I bought new in 2017.
Am using a 2TB OWC Thunderbay mini all SSD through Thunderbolt 2.

For a year and half, on a 1080p timeline, put down 10 layers of synced cameras, audio and video, 2 layers of audio from audio recorder and features, and two layers of graphics. The show is one hour long. The files are mpeg 4 in a quicktime wrapper made through Editready. Audio files are waveforms.
Now, advising me to convert files to something easier for the computer to edit with is not an option. The turnaround time is less than 24 hours. And, as mentioned, this configuration has worked fine for the last year and a half. It's been a good snappy response on the timeline and even in full resolution display mode the images keep up just great. ....that is until now.

After a few weeks of hiatus after a certain virus of which we will not speak of, we started back this week. NOW, it's running like a severely underpowered computer?
Very laggy, sometimes 5 or more seconds to wait for the image to catch up and that jeopardizes hitting the deadline. I tried some of the recommended settings changes, and nothing has made one bit of difference.
I've been monitoring the processors, thinking I may have a problem. I'm not an expert in reading the activity monitor to know if i have a processor failure, but, I don't see anything that indicates that level of problem.

Anyway, before I try a full update to Catalina and the latest PP, (which I'm doubtful will solve more problems than it creates) I thought maybe someone has experienced this. and offer some guidance.
During the down time, I made no changes, upgrades on the computer and only editing some basic stuff which seemed to work fine, however, it was not multilayered content.

Just waiting for the murder hornets.

John Watts
Premiere Pro Version 13.1
2017 iMac (Retina 5K 27 inch) 1TB SSD
4GHZ Intel Core i7
32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
macOS Mojave 10.14

Return to posts index

Christopher Kinsman
Re: Playback Lag/waiting for image to catch up.
on May 14, 2020 at 8:28:41 pm

I'm working on 2019 iMac 8core/Vega 48/32gb ram/2tb ssd/16tb external tb raid/
OS is 10.14.6 and Premiere Pro 2020.

I was getting video playing back at 1/2 speed while audio was normal - right out of the box!
Drove me nuts. I never had this problem in 2018 PP

I have a 3 monitor system and 3rd monitor is out through the black magic ultra studio mini monitor.

My fix.
I went to premiere pro-preferences-playback and deselected all my video devices. Then select ok.
Then repeat the process and select the video devices you want. Then hit Ok.

This removes the video lag for me every time.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck!
CK

Return to posts index

John Watts
Re: Playback Lag/waiting for image to catch up.
on May 15, 2020 at 6:16:13 pm

I can now report this problem as solved.

Although I thought that I had been properly clearing the media caches, apparently I was not.
Upon discovering there were nearly 21,000 files in there, and clearing them out, the problem went away. Those files went back to when the system was brand new.

Now editing is fast and snappy.

Thanks for the input.

John Watts
Premiere Pro Version 13.1
2017 iMac (Retina 5K 27 inch) 1TB SSD
4GHZ Intel Core i7
32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
macOS Mojave 10.14

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved