ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Playback Issues

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Adam Harper
Playback Issues
on May 5, 2020 at 10:39:45 am

Hi all,

I've just started a new project for which I've begun to review footage for and I'm encountering an odd and rather frustrating issue. I'll be reviewing a clip when all of a sudden it'll skip back to the start of the clip in the playback window but the play head in the timeline will remain in the middle of clip. Then everything goes completely out of sync because it'll play the audio correctly. When I try and place the play head at a latter point in a clip again, it skips back to the start of the clip in the playback window. I've tried to render it to see if that solves it but no luck. It's only mobile phone footage so it shouldn't be a case of the computer struggling to play it, especially when the playback resolution is 1/4.
Any idea on what could be causing this?

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: Playback Issues
on May 5, 2020 at 3:51:59 pm

1) What exact version of Premiere you are using.
2) What operating system and hardware you are using.
3) What storage are you using.

Mobile phone footage can be some of the most frustrating footage to use in Premiere due to its variable frame rate. Have you tried converting the footage in Media Encoder to another format (ProRes for example) and seeing you don't have the playback issues?

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 6, 2020 at 9:30:05 am

Hi Andy,

1) I am using V14.0.1
2) Windows 10.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz
16.0 GB of RAM

Although it is a couple of years old I did build the PC with the intention of it being used for editing.

I did wonder if it might be a frame rate issue as there is footage from a number of mobile phones and they all have varying frame rates. I just tried to convert some of the footage in Media Encoder but the same issue occurs. There's nothing wrong with the actual videos themselves as they play through fine when I watch them through VLC.

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 8, 2020 at 10:27:50 am

Bump.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on May 8, 2020 at 3:33:56 pm

Try taking one of your problem clips and transcoding it in Handbrake, instead of AME. Make sure to select a Constant Frame Rate in Handbrake. Then bring it in and see what happens. If that takes care of the problem, use Handbrake on all your VFR phone video files.
Usually, if I have issues with a video file in PPro, it will have similar issues in AME.
TC

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]