ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Open HEVC file?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Riker
Open HEVC file?
on Mar 29, 2020 at 2:45:42 pm

I took my blu-ray and extracted an hevc file out of it to reduce for storage on my media server. So this is just the video file, no container or anything. Latest version of Premiere Pro as of this writing won't open it. Is this normal? Any suggestions how I should deal with this to get in there?

Thanks.

JR

Return to posts index

Andy Kralik
Re: Open HEVC
on Mar 29, 2020 at 3:41:38 pm

If you haven’t already, Try VLC (free download) to rip the blu-Ray to what you want. While I have not used VLC for some time, it was always my go to software to do file conversions when a clients video file wouldn’t work on my Mac.

25+ year roller coaster ride in production and post production. The most fun in my life.

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Mar 29, 2020 at 8:59:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. VLC is going to reencode my content though correct? Obviously I'm planning on doing that but only once. Unless it supports lossless formats.

Return to posts index

Andy Kralik
on Mar 29, 2020 at 9:37:13 pm

I Don’t know. Like I said, “I haven’t had to use VLC in awhile”. Codecs have become more stable and cross platform standardized these last 10 years.
Here’s a quick read from Wikipedia on VLC. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player#Output_formats

25+ year roller coaster ride in production and post production. The most fun in my life.

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Mar 29, 2020 at 9:55:31 pm

Thanks. My real question is more can I open up this file in Premiere Pro at all as is. I know like I can take a .H264 file from other disks that is created, but this one is a .hevc file and it won't open it. I read a lot on the forums about issues with Premiere opening HEVC content in general so wasn't sure.

Return to posts index

Andy Kralik
on Mar 30, 2020 at 11:32:06 am

I guess I should have been more clear. I would like you to download and try VLC and see if the HEVC file you have now even plays. I’m using some forensics here to get you to a solution. If the HEVC file you have now doesn’t play in VLC, then the HEVC file may not have been ripped properly from the BluRay. From there we’ll go to step 2 and try and use VLC to rip the BluRay to another uncompressed format.

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Mar 30, 2020 at 2:19:13 pm

Yep, the file does play thru VLC.

Return to posts index

Andy Kralik
on Mar 30, 2020 at 3:37:56 pm

OK, now we are getting somewhere. We know the files actually does work.
Assuming you have the latest and licensed Adobe Premiere Pro CC on your system,
here is a link to amnestying informative website that I found that may have help with your dilemma concerning HVEC files.

https://www.videoproc.com/troubleshoot-adobe/premiere-pro-hevc-codec-missin...

Return to posts index

Andy Kralik
on Mar 30, 2020 at 3:43:57 pm

I'm not suggesting you download the software they are recommending. I don't know anything about it. I think the article has solutions you can try first. Let me know how it goes.

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Mar 30, 2020 at 6:19:08 pm

Thanks. I'll read thru that now. Note it's not giving a codec error but I just did something else. I took the HEVC file and put it into an MP4 container. Tried loading that into Premiere Pro 2020. Not seeing a lot of disk or CPU utilization but RAM is almost at 24GB in use and rising. Been doing this for like 10 minutes so far with the scrollbar on loading in the file not moving. 26GB now.

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Mar 30, 2020 at 6:40:41 pm

By the way, capped at 50GB of RAM and sat there for a while then loaded. Getting some random errors as I go thru the list.

Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts.

Not sure what the outcome will be, however I was able to create an M2TS file with the HEVC file in it. Eventually loaded into premiere with the above error coming up. I used NeatVideo on it. Great because it's so big I can find a large area to identify the noise footprint. I'm not exporting it at half bitrate. Was 35 so doing CBR with 17.5 at HEVC format. So exporting as M4V. Right now says 17 hours which I think is fast so thinking that time will grow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]