ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

New Computer but choppy performance with Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Smith
New Computer but choppy performance with Premiere Pro
on Mar 27, 2020 at 3:33:00 pm

Hi Everyone,
Been coming here for a long time for troubleshooting and finding tips, but a first for actually joining and participating. I recently upgraded to a new machine (specs pasted below). Even though I am going through the usual checklist to make sure I am optimized for my editing, I am still getting dropped frames, lag and an overall choppiness in the time line playback. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Running mainly on CC2019 but finding same issue in CC2020.
I have set up CUDA for graphics acceleration.
When bringing in any footage, I create proxies to speed up editing. Stored externally, not on HD that applications run off.
Footage is on an external Drobo and not being saved on the main hard drive that is running all applications
Cache and other media files are saved out next to the project files and not clogging up the main drive either.
Project settings / frame rates match the source footage.
Only installed plugins are Film Impact transition packs.

Specs:
Customized Bizon Tech PC running Windows 10 Pro. Overclocked stage 1 (+200 MHz). Liquid cooling.

Processor: Skylake X
14-core, 3.30 GHZ Intel Core i9-9940x

Memory: (DDR4 3200 MHz)
128 GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti 11GB

HHD: 1TB PCI-E SSD

- Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: New Computer but choppy performance with Premiere Pro
on Mar 27, 2020 at 5:11:57 pm

Try a different external drive. DROBO isn't ideal for editing. It's great as a redundant archival source, and uses software and hardware magic to allow multiple drives of different sizes to make a solid RAID. But this often slows the performance and can't meet the demands of streaming video. I had a friend try this and while it worked fine some of the time, other times it'd lag horribly for a bit, then work properly, then lag again. He got a different RAID setup and all worked well after that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Smith
Re: New Computer but choppy performance with Premiere Pro
on Mar 31, 2020 at 7:59:04 pm

Thanks Shane, much appreciated. I may just have to add an additional Solid State drive to my tower and have that auto backup to the drobo at night.

Cheers,
Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]