ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Proper sequence settings for this type of video --->

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Leuchten
Proper sequence settings for this type of video --->
on Mar 20, 2020 at 2:49:36 pm

Hey all, thanks in advance, glad to have found this resource.

I am working on a short documentary, and until now, I've kept my sequence settings somewhat in my blind spot, as I'm not so familiar with the inner workings and all the possible options. Now that the editing is done, and I've exported a draft, I'm noticing that while all the sequences have a mix of the same footage styles, they vary in frame-rate and field option settings... The most notable thing I'm seeing in the exported video is some interlacing artifacts (which are not present in the source footage).

To give some background, I'm using some footage from a DV camera throughout the doc, and then the rest was shot in 1080p on a digital Sony handycam, as well as some on my phone.

As for field options, some of the sequences are set to "No Fields", and some are set to "Upper Field First"... I'm guessing this is based on which type of video I dragged in first. Some of the boxes are actually grayed out, like they can't be changed, so I may have to copy all of the material into a new sequence.

Same with frame-rate, some of it is set to 23.97, some set to 29.97, with the "master sequence" (made up of the "scene sequences") set to 29.97. It seems like it would make sense to just choose one - can I choose it based on the style I'm going for, or is there one that will look good across all video formats and one that won't?

I should mention that the documentary has kind of an experimental style to it, so I'm fine with it looking a little rough if needed, but I just want to do everything I can to get the settings right so it has a chance of looking smooth and clear. It seems like I haven't done the first thing to ensure that, yet, so I have some hope it can be improved.

Let me know if more information would be helpful. Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Vlach
Re: Proper sequence settings for this type of video --->
on Mar 20, 2020 at 5:22:02 pm

Hi Michael,

Sounds like a fun project you are working on!

One thing I would recommend is to make your sequence at 23.976 frames per second. That way your footage at 29.97 will conform to the lower frame rate, and the videos that are at 23.976 will look their best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]