ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Auto Editing based on movement?? Possible?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Maybury
Auto Editing based on movement?? Possible?
on Mar 18, 2020 at 11:23:44 am

Does anybody know of a useful technique or plug-in for premiere to do some automatic cuts on a clip in a timeline based on movement?

Let me explain a little further. I have hours of footage where my camera operator reframes every 20 seconds of so. He shoots for 5 or 10 seconds on one piece of action before quickly reframing on to something else. I'm left with a clip on a timeline which consists of 10 seconds of useable footage, followed by a quick re-frame, then another 10 seconds of footage and so it goes on.

I'm thinking that there might be a plug-in available which essentially scans the clip for rapid changes in the framing, and automatically cuts out those bits where the camera op is changing shot.

Has anybody heard of such a thing, or knows of a technique to speed up the process of doing this manually?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Auto Editing based on movement?? Possible?
on Mar 18, 2020 at 3:03:57 pm

The job you’re looking to automate is the job you get paid to do. And since the average clip in most documentaries is appropriately only 4-seconds, you should have plenty on the head and tail to work with.

While I prefer to do the cutting in the edit bay, not in the camera, it’s often easier to cut a show in the long run that has more and different angles, though it can be frustrating at times.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Rob Maybury
on Mar 18, 2020 at 3:21:27 pm

Thanks David,

I appreciate that I get paid to edit, but like most of us I'm just looking to be more efficient with my workflow and time. With so much footage I could do with a way of rough cutting footage from one camera, before knuckling down with the finer edits.

Its a dance show shot on three camera. Two static cameras and one which 'hunts' shots during the show. It's this hunting camera which I could do with weeding out the unusable bits and was just wondering whether there is a clever, automated, way that this could be achieved in record fast time.

I guess this could be done with some clever scripting utilizing the tracking tool to monitor the position of a fixed point and once it recognizes a rapid reframe movement it slices the clip at that point and10 seconds before. Probably not going to be worth putting in the time for a job I do three times a year.

Thanks for your feedback tho - have a good day

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 19, 2020 at 3:21:01 pm

Would scene detection help?
I use that in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 19, 2020 at 4:18:21 am

Resolve has a scene detect feature. I'd XML from premiere and roundtrip back to get the clips cut up fairly quickly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]