ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Audio falling out of sync, 8MM / Hi8 Capture Capture, Premiere Pro CC 2019

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Kitz
Audio falling out of sync, 8MM / Hi8 Capture Capture, Premiere Pro CC 2019
on Mar 5, 2020 at 9:39:19 am

Hi all,

Apologies for the question, I have searched the internet far and wide looking for ways to troubleshoot this as it's obviously a topic that has been beaten to death, but so far I haven't been able to crack it.

The project:
I am starting the process of digitising all my old tapes - everything from 8MM to Hi8 to (eventually) the miniDV tapes. They are pretty old, some more than 20 years, but all have been store in dust proof containers and seem to play just fine.

The equipment:
Computer: MacMini i7 processing w/ 16gb of RAM, SSD drive
The player: Sony GV D200 w/ i:link to firewire 800 cable, plugging into a FW800 to Lightning bolt adaptor

The Tapes:
All NTSC tapes (I am in the UK now, this was from my youth in the US).

The problem:
The tapes all seem to feed in and play just fine. I can even control the deck from premiere. All audio is in sync during playback. I have now capture 5 tapes and just noticed that all have the same issue – they are falling out of sync slowly as the time goes on, despite none of them having dropped any frames during capture. I have read elsewhere that this has something to do with some variable frame rate setting in premiere and that the only way to get around it is to reprocess (slowly) all the captured footage in Handbrake. I hope this isn't the case, but so far, not even that has worked for me (tried it with one tape).

The question:
Does anyone know what they issue might be? What it feels like is that it's capturing at 30fps and these are 29.97fps tapes, but I don't know how to fix this. Is it a timecode thing?
Is there a definitive guide someone that I have missed on "best settings to capture tape?"

Thanks very much in advance for any tips!
Joe

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Audio falling out of sync, 8MM / Hi8 Capture Capture, Premiere Pro CC 2019
on Mar 5, 2020 at 10:10:07 am

It sounds like the deck doesn't have built-in timebase corrector and the sync issue happens with the analog tapes because of that.

Return to posts index

Joe Kitz
on Mar 5, 2020 at 10:16:26 am

Thanks for the note Tero. I just looked it up and the deck (Sony GV D200) does have TBC built in.
Any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

Bill Celnick
on Mar 5, 2020 at 1:16:07 pm

It's been a few years since I've worked with Hi8 - when I transferred my own I actually used my original camera as the source deck and copied first to mini DV then captured via Firewire to Premiere, and prior to that, FCP7

I don't recollect any out of sync issues.

Bill Celnick
Starlight Video Productions
Sugar Loaf NY

Return to posts index

Joe Kitz
on Mar 5, 2020 at 2:23:20 pm

Hi Bill, I guess this would suggest something to do with digital / timecodes.
I'm sure though that this extra step must have a workaround? That can't be the only way to do it could it?

Return to posts index

Bill Celnick
on Mar 5, 2020 at 3:03:16 pm

I seem to recollect one of my pro (probably prosumer) decks having a switchable tbc - might this be the case with yours?

Bill Celnick
Sugar Loaf NY

Return to posts index

Bill Celnick
on Mar 5, 2020 at 3:08:15 pm

Hi Joe - I don't think it was a work-around - at the time I was capturing via Firewire and it controlled a SONY DV-Cam deck I used - was simply my work flow back in the day - probably 2005 or so.

Bill Celnick
Sugar Loaf NY

Return to posts index

Joe Kitz
on Mar 5, 2020 at 4:49:15 pm

@Bill, ahh i see. I have a mini DV deck as a last resort, but I imagine there must be a way to get this to work with this kit. The deck that it's coming out of is at least prosumer quality and has TBC built in (don't know if it's switchable, I imagine it's automatic).

Hoping that I am not the last person on earth to have gone through this in the last couple of years. There must be a modern workflow for ancient kit, right?

Return to posts index

Joe Kitz
on Mar 8, 2020 at 3:20:32 pm

Still haven't cracked this one yet. Anyone have any further ideas on what I could try?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]