AVI file plays only still image

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corey Pike
AVI file plays only still image
on Feb 20, 2020 at 3:39:36 pm
Last Edited By Corey Pike on Feb 20, 2020 at 3:46:28 pm

Greetings,

I'm sorry for the length of this but I wanted to be thorough on what is happening.

*EDIT: I should note that the source of this video is from a surveillance camera from a gas station.

For my job I am working with video in Premiere Pro. I have been given around 50 AVI files but am having issues dealing with them. When I attempt to bring the files into Premiere it won't import them and gives a message of "Unsupported or damaged file".

I have run them through hand brake to attempt to convert them and for some of the files Handbrake tells me "No valid source or titles found." For other files I am able to import them into Handbrake to try to convert them into MP4. When I do this it only runs for a fraction of a second and then finishes. With this converted file I attempt to important into Premiere Pro in order to work with it Premiere freezes at the Import dialogue box and I have to force quit the program.

So then I again import the file into Handbrake and attempt to convert it into an MKV file. After it is converted into MKV I again attempt to import the file into Premiere. The file imports and shows a thumbnail of the file but has a time indicator of 0:00. When I move this file to the preview monitor it show the thumbnail but when I attempt to play it the frame turns red.

I have attempted to use VLC to play the file. The "video" plays but only shows me a still image that does not move. When brought into VLC these files are all around a minute long, the time varies per clip.

When I attempt to play with Windows Media player there is no image, the play indicator moves forward but no image.

I am wondering what is going on and if anyone has come across this. The only thing I can think is that someone converted a still image into an AVI? Would this be a common thing or are they video files that I am doing something wrong when working with them.

Any help would be appreciate.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: AVI file plays only still image
on Feb 20, 2020 at 4:41:49 pm

Play them again in VLC Media Player. While playing, press CTRL+J to get information about them. What does it tell you about the codec for video?

What are the original file sizes? And what was the recording device (brand/model #)? That may help track it down.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Corey Pike
on Feb 20, 2020 at 4:56:28 pm

Thanks for your attention. The codec is GeoVision MPEG-4 AVC (GAVC). The file sizes vary from 12,000 KB up to 37,000 Kb.

I don't know what kind of camera it is. It is surveillance footage from a gas stations stationary security camera.

I'm not sure what to do with this information, so any advice you can give is greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 20, 2020 at 5:22:46 pm

Some surveillance systems use proprietary files. You might find out if they have a way to export to another file type. Or find a converter.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 20, 2020 at 5:29:40 pm

Or see if Geovision will share the codec.

I did a quick search. I would be wary of some of the downloads available...

Return to posts index

Corey Pike
on Feb 20, 2020 at 7:46:11 pm

That is a good idea, I just sent an email to GeoVision to see if they can help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]