ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Droping frames and not responsive with Sony a7III 4K mp4 files in Monster PC Build :(

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abraham Torna
Premiere Droping frames and not responsive with Sony a7III 4K mp4 files in Monster PC Build :(
on Jan 27, 2020 at 3:15:07 pm

Hello guys

I'm a looong user of adobe tools and have 15+ years of experience in post. My issue is that Premiere is dropping frames like crazy forcing me to render all the time (like Final cut 7 times) and I can't understand why? I thought that the problem was my old PC so I upgrade. to the highest setup in the market right now (with the corresponding investment) and still, there is no way I can work effortlessly with the footage of my Sony a7III 4K files (mp4), 24fps. That's a camera from March 2018!!. I try everything but nothing works so far.

Mercury playback CUBA is enabled of course and my cache disk is one of the fastest m.2 nvme in the market. All my editing process is incredibly painful and is laggy. Even when I render all the timeline I don't get the green dot for droping frame, green all the payback. I'm so frustrated, we are in 2020 and that should not be happening with my monster custom build pc.

This are my specs:

Micro: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x (32 cores/ 64 hyperthreading)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme trx40
Card: Nvidia GeForce 2080 Ti Founder Edition
Memory: 128 Gb RAM G.SKILL Trident Z Neo
System Disk: Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4 M.2 2TB (Read: 5000 MB/s - Write: 4400 MB/s)
Footage and Cache: Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4 M.2 2TB (Read: 5000 MB/s - Write: 4400 MB/s)

Nvidia RTX Studio Driver: 441.66
Adobe Premiere Pro v14.0
Windows 10 latest update.

BTW: Resolve play all my clips incredible fluid so is not a performance issue or incompatibility between pc elements. Everything except Premiere and After Effects (Using only one core, but that another history) works great. That makes my mind explode!

Is there anything that I'm missing here? Any hack or hidden solution, please?

Thanks in advance
Abe

http://www.abrahamtorna.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Premiere Droping frames and not responsive with Sony a7III 4K mp4 files in Monster PC Build :(
on Jan 27, 2020 at 4:53:25 pm

[Abraham Torna] "my Sony a7III 4K files (mp4), 24fps"

You answered your own question. H264 is the culprit. Convert all H264 files to an edit friendly codec (Pro Res, DNX, Cineform) and your computer will return to a happy state.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Abraham Torna
Re: Premiere Droping frames and not responsive with Sony a7III 4K mp4 files in Monster PC Build :(
on Jan 27, 2020 at 7:27:23 pm

Hi Greg

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post but unfortunately, this is not a good solution for me. As I stated earlier, Davinci Resolve plays all the 4K clips with any hiccups even with effects applied.

It is not an H264 thing, it is an H264 thing WITH Premiere in 2020 and having so lame performance. What I'm trying to figurate is if there is any setting that I'm missing. It is so difficult to wrap my mind that the only solution for edit an mp4 footage for a 2-year-old camera is to transcode to prores!

Sorry, but even if I appreciate a lot your help I don't think that is a efficient solution. Moving to Resolve is an efficient solution, you don't need to transcode anything, just drag and drop and start cutting, as the way they should be. But I do love Premiere for edit and I want to keep everything under the same ecosystem. But Man! Where all our subscription money goes if you can't edit your 2 years old camera footage with the latest tech?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 27, 2020 at 10:11:00 pm

[Abraham Torna] "Moving to Resolve is an efficient solution, you don't need to transcode anything, just drag and drop and start cutting, as the way they should be."

Once again you've answered your own question.

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Abraham Torna
on Jan 27, 2020 at 10:46:56 pm

Sorry but it seems that I don't explain my self the best I could. I'm looking for an Adobe Premiere 2020 solution, not a Resolve workaround.

This is not a decision based on personal preferences but is based on a couple of professional variables. The editors that I work use premiere, my projects have heavily mixed with After Effects Comps for Motion and VFX, I'm not looking for support for footage from the Sony FX9 or the Canon C500 II that are relatively "new" in the market but for one of the most common formats nowadays.

So if Resolve could be an option I would not be here asking for a Premiere solution to me and all the Sony a7III users out there.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 27, 2020 at 10:49:24 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Jan 27, 2020 at 10:50:26 pm

Make cineform proxies or transcode all H264 footage to DNX, Cineform or ProRes. It's really that simple. There is no other way if you want to use Premiere with maximum efficiency.

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2020 at 11:24:30 pm

Adobe Marketing has successfully convinced you that Adobe Premiere Pro works with any format, just drag and drop and no transcoding, as long as you have gobs of RAM and a fast processor and that CUDA thingy. But, real world experience has shown that not to be the case. MULTIPLE editors experienced with PPRo will tell you that it doesn't work as advertised, and transcoding is the best solution...especially when it comes to H.264 files...and more so with 4K H.264. Either low res proxies, or high res edit formats like ProRes or DNxHD.

How does RESOLVE pull it off? Not sure. But yeah, Resolve is not a fully featured editing app like Premiere or FCX or Avid, and lacks features that make editing as fully featured as the others.

SO...if you are going to use Premiere Pro...best to transcode. Sorry that it's "not the way it's supposed to be" in terms of drag and drop and NO TRANSCODING, but that's how the cookie crumbles. I was hoping for that too, but alas.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]