ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Importing MOV Files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Cowalt
Importing MOV Files
on Jan 23, 2020 at 3:26:35 pm

Hi,
I know there's tons of search results, when googling this topic. But basically they all tell you to convert the MOV Files to mp4 or mkv. But none of this works for me. Whatever format I convert my MOV videos to, I just cannot import them properly. What's weird, is that I can play them without any problems in the preview. But if I try to drag them on the timeline, it seems like I can just drag them to the audio track.
Did anyone experience similiar problems and know how to solve them?

Best regards
Jan

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Importing MOV Files
on Jan 23, 2020 at 3:47:22 pm

What codec are the movs originally and why are you transcoding them in the first place?

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 23, 2020 at 7:25:06 pm

Yes. Definitely need the specs on your original mov file, especially codec. And also the files you are transcoding to. If you want to edit, mp4 or mkv may not be your best options. More edit friendly codecs are better, such as ProRes or Cineform.
TC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 23, 2020 at 7:37:19 pm

MP4 and MKV files are HIGHLY compressed, and most often NOT suited to editing. Not sure where you are getting that information, but it's wrong. MKV should never be used for editing, and MP4...can work sometimes, but really is a delivery format, and not suited for editing.

Now...quick lesson on terminology. MOV is a "container," as has been mentioned. It can contain one of a couple dozen codecs. ProRes, DNxHD, Animation, Sorenson, H.264, MPEG-2...list goes on and on. Picture it like a can without a label. That can might contain carrots, or green beans, or peaches, or corn. So you don't just say to someone, "I have a can of food," you need to say "I have a can of peaches." So with video, you say "I have an MOV file in the ProRes codec..."

So, as people have asked, what CODEC are these MOV files. Because just like MKV and MP4, many many codecs are not suited for editing. PRORES is...DNxHD is...DNxHR...Cineform. Those are editing codecs. H.264, Animation...not so much. Adobe might CLAIM that Premiere can edit those formats...and it is POSSIBLE, but to do so, you'll need a beefy computer with lots of RAM, fast processors and killer GPU to decode that footage in real time for smooth playback. Really, it's best to convert the footage to an editing codec like ProRes...or the others I listed above.

So, yes, convert...but convert to the proper codec.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jan Cowalt
on Jan 24, 2020 at 1:11:12 pm

Thank ├Żou Shane for that eyeopening and fantastic Wrap-Up.

I found another converter which I used to convert the files to PRORES. Now it works perfectly for me.
Thanks a lot guys

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Jan 25, 2020 at 12:57:58 pm

In the future you can easily use Media Encode for conversion. No need to hunt down another fie converter.

VLC Media Player is pretty handy for quickly finding out what codecs are hidden inside the wrapper. Press CTRL+J while a clip is playing.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 27, 2020 at 3:47:19 pm

[Jon Doughtie] "No need to hunt down another fie converter."

Unless you get all kinds of different files and formats. Then you'll want to have VLC and Handbrake handy for those instances. Both have recovered files I needed that either Adobe didn't recognize or file was damaged (according to AME/PPro).
TC

Return to posts index

Graham Tees
on Jan 25, 2020 at 1:04:03 pm

The (free) MediaInfo program is also very useful for finding out all the details of the file.

Return to posts index

David Rigg
on Jan 26, 2020 at 4:53:20 pm

"Picture it like a can without a label."

Speaking of Cans without labels...

My .Mov files (Prores codec) don't seem to have thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Any way to force Windows to see a preview? The stock agencies are able to generate a thumbnail, but I have to rely on FILE Names in my internal navigating. (Not the end of the world, but a thumbnail would be nice.)

Am I doing something wrong at "Render"?

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Jan 27, 2020 at 4:20:28 pm

I don't know of any native way, but I've installed Icaros and it seems to work fine (allows Windows Explorer to show thumbnails for MOV files, including those with ProRes within):

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Icaros

Return to posts index

Harry Akkers
on Jan 28, 2020 at 6:06:50 pm

So whats the best for converting MP4/H264 files to edit-friendly format?
Something free would be handy.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 28, 2020 at 7:05:09 pm

You should already have Adobe Media Encoder. That works great.
TC

Return to posts index

Harry Akkers
on Jan 31, 2020 at 11:44:57 am

Talking of conversion before editing - some years ago I had a GoPro5. The native footage could not be loaded into Premiere. There was a GoPro application which converted the files into AVI (cineform).

When the converted files were loaded, boy, did it kill Premiere or what?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]