ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

All sequences are 5 frames out of sync

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey McBeath
All sequences are 5 frames out of sync
on Nov 20, 2019 at 7:01:57 am

I usually get plagued with weird issues that are seemingly unique or only affect a few people. I got one that is just bugging the hell out of me. ALL sequences I build, in order to play in sync, I have to INTENTIONALLY push the audio back 5 frames late. If things are properly in sync, the audio does not match the video. There has to be something I've done wrong at a base level. This is all on the following capture modes and system:

Video:
Sony FS7
2x a6400

Audio:
Zoom h6 (typically a boom and a lav track)

System:
iOS 10.13.06
Premiere 13.2

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: All sequences are 5 frames out of sync
on Nov 20, 2019 at 3:27:04 pm

Hi Casey,

How are you determining that the audio is out of sync? Meaning what is the workflow used to MONITOR the video and audio? Is this using speakers connected to computer, and watching on computer screen, or external HDMI display perhaps?

And what if you do not adjust the audio in sequence, and just Export - is it also then out of sync on exported clip?

If you watch your RAW clips in another player like VLC, is audio in sync there?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Casey McBeath
on Nov 20, 2019 at 6:37:40 pm

Ah Jeff, you are raising some thoughts that may lead to a solution and more questions.

I am monitoring the sync the same as I have for years, headphones out of the computer, and watching the record monitor.

If I export it synced (by being out sync) it works as it should on MOST platforms, which is really bizarre. There seems to be a 25% chance it will appear out of sync depending on if you are watching on mobile or desktop.

Opening a single clip in premiere has the audio of a camera track out of sync with itself. In VLC, it appears to work normally.

It's probably the oddest issue I've ever had.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 20, 2019 at 6:55:50 pm

The methods used to copy and import media can sometimes affect things. When copying SD cards to hard drive, create a NEW FOLDER for each card, and copy entire contents of that card to the new folder. Do not pick and choose video clips, copy everything as found on SD card. Then in Premiere, use Media Browser to do the actual importing (rather than File > Import).

Many cameras include metadata in the folders that can be beneficial to the NLE in many ways to help it "understand" or interpret exactly what it's working with. Just makes everything go smoother to keep that metadata and folder structure intact.

Also, make sure that the Sequence Settings match the clips. If the frame rate is different, that can sometimes cause issues. And Premiere does not like .mp3 files, so if you have any, convert to .wav before using in Premiere, like with Audition for instance.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Casey McBeath
on Nov 20, 2019 at 7:12:41 pm

Thanks for all the help Jeff, but still not there yet. I am very well aware of maintaining file structure, but I was hoping the Media Browser route would be the solution as I have always avoided it as it has always been clunky and problematic for me in the past. Unfortunately as I tried it now, not only do I get the same generic error of unusable files (.XML and .BIN files, no big deal), but this time MB brought in nothing at all. It only created an empty bin with zero media. Of course that was at the root level. I could bring in the media by navigating directly to it, but it is still out of sync in the preview window.

There appears to be a more hidden, nuanced, and unique issue at play. Any ideas on Audio Hardware settings, or other deeper options that may be the cause?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 21, 2019 at 4:22:41 am

is the internal camera audio in sync and just the h6 out of sync? that may tell you something. it aint' no f8 and most people report that it drifts after 3 minutes of running.

also, 24fps may actually be 23.976 fps and 30fps may be 29.97. and 60fps may be 59.94.
also, i've read that the timebase being set wrong can do weird things.

Return to posts index

Casey McBeath
on Nov 21, 2019 at 3:58:11 pm

That’s one of the truly bizarre parts. All audio is out of sync. Music/sound effects, in camera audio, all audio and video have to be offset five frames in order to lineup

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 21, 2019 at 5:02:27 pm

In camera audio playing out of sync in your Premiere indicates that there's a problem with your Premiere setup.

I work extensively with Sony F7 footage and secondary audio and I have never run into a sync issue.

When you open your master media files in VLC or another player the audio is out of sync? If so, do you have any additional audio settings in your main computer preferences?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Nov 21, 2019 at 7:12:37 pm

Have you ever tried trashing your PPro preferences? So that you know you're at default settings.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferen...

I would ask for screen shots of prefs, but this will be easier.
TC

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Nov 22, 2019 at 12:21:56 pm

I've a similar rig, my expectation is that nothing would be in sync and that would be my job to put it in sync as a multicam sequence. I like to slate.

It's not clear whether you are shooting multicam or you are just creating a sequence from different cameras?

On the new FX9 Sony are making a big deal out of being able to support Genlock and timecode, which you would have had to buy an XDCA on the FS7.

I probably don't understand your configuration.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Nov 25, 2019 at 11:30:06 am

By the way, when you import using Media Browser, you still navigate to the camera original video clips ans import ONLY those. Media Browser quietly uses Bin, XML files, etc. in the background. You don't actually try to import those files.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]