ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Multicam Audio Missing Tracks

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Galli
Multicam Audio Missing Tracks
on Nov 18, 2019 at 10:33:31 pm

Aloha all!

Premiere 13.1.4 (aka CC 2019). Shot a performance using 2 cameras. Each of the cameras has 2 mono channels of audio.

I used a sequence to synchronize everything. Camera 1 is on V1, A1, A2; camera 2 is on V2, A3, A4. This sequence is named "sync."

I nest Sync into a 2nd sequence, named "Last Mass." At this moment, everything plays as expected.

I enable multicam on Last Mass. Immediately, the audio from channels 3 & 4 on Sync disappears. It doesn't matter whether I toggle V1 or V2; the channels formerly known as 3 & 4 disappear. If I toggle multicam off, then all the audio returns to Last Mass.

I've tried a couple of different approaches to making the nest. I've done the "New Sequence From Clip" approach, and also I've made a new sequence from an actual clip, then dragged Sync into that. In each case, the nested sequence shows up with a single stereo audio track. When I toggle multicam on, I can see the waveforms on the right channel disappear. WHen I turn multicam off, they reappear.

Help!

Mahalo,
Tom G

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Multicam Audio Missing Tracks
on Nov 19, 2019 at 5:40:13 pm

I'm not expert in Premiere but if this happened to my multicam in FCPX, it would mean I set a preference wrong on telling the system to either stay with one designated audio source clip or to swap audio sources with every video angle change. So I'm guessing you have a Premiere preference set wrong, but that's as far as I can go with my theory at this point.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 19, 2019 at 7:10:27 pm

In order to select all channels of audio with a multi cam sequence in a master timeline you need to create your multi cam sequence with All Audio channels and mono both selected.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Nov 19, 2019 at 7:59:11 pm

While that worked, what a ridiculously awkward thing to have to do!

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 20, 2019 at 1:06:31 pm

[Tom Galli] "While that worked, what a ridiculously awkward thing to have to do!"

Awkward is creating a timeline and manually having to sync 2 cameras, then creating a nested timeline, then manually enabling multicam.

Using the "make multicam" function does all this in a single click, and then gives you options on how to handle various audio layouts.

I often read posts here from people who are having problems with Premiere Pro multicam and it's almost always because they haven't used the "make multicam" feature.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Nov 21, 2019 at 3:39:11 am

Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence is fine if it works, but it doesn't work in this situation. This project is long, and my cameras break the footage up every 14 minutes or so. Over the course of this particular production, each camera generated 7 clips. These do string together seamlessly, but when I select all the videos and turn Premiere loose to create a multicam sequence, it actually creates 7 sequences. And, since the cameras aren't electronically synchronized, the beginning and endings of the clips inside each sequence don't align, meaning that the sequences can't be strung together.

Just as an aside, I don't have to "manually sync" anything; Premiere has that power, and usually does it pretty well. I let it sync the first clip from each camera, then just drop the remaining clips on the appropriate layer with Snapping enabled.

Trust me, if the automated approach worked, I'd use it. I never like to use 3 mouse clicks if 2 will do!`

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 22, 2019 at 8:00:51 pm

There is an option in the multicam feature to create one long multi clip instead of breaking it into different clips at timecode breaks. The PITA here is that it puts each new clip on a higher track, as though it was from a separate camera. It's pretty quick work to manually drag the clips down so that each camera has all it's angles on a single track, but Pro should be able to do that automatically -- I've asked for it several times on their website, but sometimes the gods say "No."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Nov 19, 2019 at 8:00:59 pm

Ok, I found my own workaround. In the nested sequence, I turn Linking off, then select only the video portion and enable multicam editing there. While this prohibits me from switching audio sources, in the case of this particular project, that's just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]