ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is the iMacPro a suitable machine for editing with Pr?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Curtis
Is the iMacPro a suitable machine for editing with Pr?
on Oct 31, 2019 at 3:52:18 pm

I'm currently using a MacPro5,1 tower with a Titan X GPU CUDA. I'm wondering if the trade-off of a faster CPU and using Metal or OpenCL is worth abandoning CUDA, and what Adobe (Kevin on the Adobe Pr forum) is calling "obsolete" CPU architecture.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro 5,1; 6-core 3.46 GHz; 128 GB DDR3 RAM all the same brand; 10.13.6; QT 7.6.6; Primary display: 4K HP Dreamcolor; secondary: 24" HP DreamColor; Nvidia TITAN X GPU; ATTO R680 RAID5 16TB; ATTO H680 HBA for HP LTO5 tape; USB3 PCIe card; latest drivers all around

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Is the iMacPro a suitable machine for editing with Pr?
on Oct 31, 2019 at 4:03:40 pm

Is that a trick question?
LOL!

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Oct 31, 2019 at 5:05:41 pm

No. It would mean a major change in my hardware setup. I have a colleague who was out of business for a month after buying an iMacPro, and eventually got rid of it and is now using a regular iMac.

I'm hoping somebody who has an iMacPro can chime in and tell me that it's working great.

I would also need to get a Thunderbolt PCIe expansion to run my ATTO RAID and LTO drive.

I need some deductions for my tax year. I'm not counting on the new MacPros to be anything but shite, as their first gen trash can and MacPro1,1 were. Nor does it look like they'll be out this year anyway.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro 5,1; 6-core 3.46 GHz; 128 GB DDR3 RAM all the same brand; 10.13.6; QT 7.6.6; Primary display: 4K HP Dreamcolor; secondary: 24" HP DreamColor; Nvidia TITAN X GPU; ATTO R680 RAID5 16TB; ATTO H680 HBA for HP LTO5 tape; USB3 PCIe card; latest drivers all around

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 31, 2019 at 6:42:25 pm

[Jim Curtis] "'m hoping somebody who has an iMacPro can chime in and tell me that it's working great."

From my experience, that model is a beast in both speed and cost.
I haven't heard anything bad about it other than the price.
A few colleagues upgraded to the Pro as a stop-gap due to their D700s crapping out on em.
For Premiere spec wise I read that it handles well.
But again the price is hard for me to fathom.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 31, 2019 at 7:00:00 pm

Just to add, I'm not sure where you get the nMP to be shite.
From your computer specs (I have a slew of 5, 1s here) the nMPs wipe all of them in both performance, and ROI.
If you need something for your ATTO RAID and LTO, try an external PCI box from Sonnet/Magma.
I have a few here that houses, RED ROCKET, ATTO RAIDs, SAS, and an older BMD UltraLink.
Some of them are now defunct gear but they are still useable.

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Oct 31, 2019 at 8:36:35 pm

Thanks for your reply and insight, Eric.

My comment about the first trash can comes from my experience on a client's site who have two of them. They got the bad GPUs that Apple 'fessed up to that put tears and black spots in playback and renders in Premiere. We found out after researching this was epidemic. And as I recall (as it's been a while), the first cheese-grater MacPro1,1 was fairly quickly (for Apple) made obsolete.

Apple rarely ever gets their 1.0 of anything right. Certainly not their operating systems.

I've since found another thread about the iMacPro here on the Cow, but was in regard to FCPX, although some Pr users chimed in. Consensus seems to be good, but I'm really mostly interested in whether they are a good fit for Premiere, the app I use for 80% of my paying work.

Due to the fact I have the Titan X GPU the most powerful available when I bought it, and would be ditching CUDA altogether if I got the iMacPro, I'm wondering if my real-time performance would be better or worse in Premiere.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Nov 1, 2019 at 10:57:37 am

Hi Jim, I've been using multiple Macs on Premiere Pro (plus After Effects, Cinema 4D...) for film making and live events.

Obviously it all depends on the type of projects you are working on and the footage you are throwing at it.

The iMac Pro is quite fast and powerful, but only really at the top end. If you're getting a mid range or lower range iMac Pro, you're not getting much benefit over the latest iMac 2019 fully spec'd up (which is what i'm currently using) so in many cases i'd go for that (obviously with an i9 processor, best Pro Vega GPU and loads of RAM. When Premiere is tested against FCPX, it actually comes out better in some areas due to the Adobe apps use more of the GPU than FCPX and they love processor cores which the i9 has a bundle of. The iMac Pro could do with an upgrade but that won't happen for for a while till the dust settles on the Mac Pro.

Just a few thoughts to consider:)

John Williams

Soho Editors

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Nov 7, 2019 at 12:39:02 am

Thanks to all who shared your experiences and opinions.

I put in my order for a 14-core with the 64X GPU, and a Sonnet USB-C PCIe expansion chassis.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]