ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Need new video card

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Bromley-Davenport
Need new video card
on Oct 24, 2019 at 10:47:26 pm

Hi,

About 4 years ago I bought an Nvidia GTX 980ti flashed card (6GB VRAM) from MACVIDCARDS. That card has now apparently died. MVC has disappeared off the map. I'm running a MacPro 4,1 converted to a 5,1 with High Sierra, Resolve and Premiere Pro.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to buying a replacement card of any kind?

Any help appreciated and I will respond to all emails.

This is hell.

Harry

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Need new video card
on Oct 24, 2019 at 11:54:35 pm
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Oct 25, 2019 at 12:02:35 am

MacVidCards still exists and still does GPU Conversions. I however have never used flashed cards and I’ve never run into any major issues. There are three methods to using unflashed cards that work really well. In all three methods I would use an Nvidia GTX-1080 Ti or pickup an AMD RX-580, 590, Vega 56, Vega 64 or the Vega Frontier Edition (16gb). I’ve always been partial to Nvidia cards myself but since there are no drivers for them in Mojave I took the plunge and purchased a Vega Frontier Edition on eBay.

1- Install a GT-120 Mac Version in slot 2 and the unflashed card in slot 1. By connecting the monitors to the GT-120 you will get the Grey Boot Screen and no further changes will have to be made.

2- If you can’t spare a slot then install the GT-120 during the OS Install or for configuration and then pull it out once your system is configured properly and install the GTX-1080 Ti. For the system configuration go to sharing and turn on either Screen Sharing or Remote Management. Now every time a system update causes the screen to go black because the Nvidia Drivers need to be updated I Remote Desktop to my 5,1 from my MacBook Pro do the Driver Update and once the system reboots your Monitors will come up as they should all except the initial Grey Boot Screen.

3- If you are like me and need to go up to Mojave AMD GPU’s work with generally no issues and there is no need to flash them. With some cards I’ve read that you will see the full Grey Boot Screen even if they aren’t flashed. My understanding also is that the PowerColor cards have the least issues on Macs but I really don’t know if that is true at this time.

One last thing the GT-120 will not work on Mojave or newer OS’s because it doesn’t support Apples Metal and that is now a prerequisite of Apple’s so Methods 1 & 2 will only work under High Sierra or older OS’s.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Oct 25, 2019 at 1:10:18 am

Wow ... Brent. Thank you so much for your comprehensive guide and know-how-info. It's going to take me a long time to digest all that. I do hope that you'll permit me to come back to you at a later date for further advice - or at least explanations of your existing advice.

As for Macvidcards, I can't raise them by the phone number 323 851 1753 and I'm certain that was their number 3 years ago on Hillside Avenue LA. I also see that their website is currently up to date, so can't understand why they don't answer the phone. I can't find an email address for them either. Naturally, I'd like them to take a look at my existing 980ti before I splurge for a new card.

Anyway, many thanks for your advice which I greatly appreciate.

Harry.

PS. If you happen to have an email address for Macvidcards, please let me know.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Oct 25, 2019 at 1:43:16 am

Sure contact me if you have trouble getting any of these methods to work. I would recommend an AMD Card just because of the lack of support for Nvidia GPU’s in anything newer than High Sierra. As I said before I am partial to Nvidia GPU’s but since I was forced to upgrade to Mojave I purchased an AMD Vega Frontier Edition and so far the Transcode speeds are really quite good. I also fell upon a really cool website that goes through the Terminal procedures to enable AMD GPU Hardware Acceleration in High Sierra or newer. What’s really cool about this is that it seems to double my H.264 Transcode speeds in Resolve 16 and up when the “Use Hardware Acceleration if Available” Box is ticked on the Delivery page.

Lastly I do believe that MacVidCards has shut down telephone contact of any kind but they still can be found on the net. They also have a store that allows you to make purchases of modded cards online.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Oct 26, 2019 at 9:44:49 pm

Hi Brent,

Further to your kind and informative earlier posting: I see that your AMD Vega Frontier is pretty expensive at about $1,000 but I may ultimately have to go for that one. Meanwhile, though, you mention the RADEON RX 580 and this (below) looks pretty good to me, but perhaps will be no good in my Mac Pro 5,1 converted from 4,1 running OS 10.13.8. (High Sierra):

I saw this on the Newegg website for $332, so I'm a little suspicious of this low price.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-00EC-001X6

"OWC Radeon RX 580 8GB Graphics Upgrade Solution For Mac Pro 2010 To 2012. Add Metal Support to your Mac Pro and Upgrade to macOS 10.14.x Mojave. Model OWCMP1012R580V"

Do you think this is suitable for me or am I barking up the wrong tree.

With many thanks for your advice and thoughts.

Harry.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Oct 26, 2019 at 10:21:38 pm
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Oct 26, 2019 at 10:22:26 pm

I picked up an AMD Frontier 16gb version for about $550 Canadian on eBay and it works great. The RX-580 is a great card and $332 would be about the right price. You could also use AMD’s newer releases with the Vega 64 or Vega 56. Again I’ve seen pretty decent prices for those on eBay.

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Oct 26, 2019 at 10:55:19 pm

Hi Brent,

Thanks very much for your speedy reply and good to have your apparently high opinion of this card.

Harry.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Oct 27, 2019 at 1:22:08 am

The price is right for the RX-580 but your GTX-980Ti had better performance. If you want better transcode speeds than the 980Ti you will need to go up to the Vega 56 or 64. One thing I didn’t mention before that you need to keep an eye on is the width of the AMD Cards. There are several versions of the 580, 590, Vega 56 and Vega 64 that very wide and will block the second slot in your Mac Pro. I find that there are to few slot in those machines as it is already so I definitely don’t want to block access to any of them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]