ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Credits question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Dean
Credits question
on Oct 8, 2019 at 12:19:38 pm

Hi - my company has hired someone whose job it is to prep Premiere projects for me as the editor. I'm using Tentacle Sync (a miracle!) to create XML timelines, and it's his job to make sure the multiclips are in sync with the production audio, break down the day's shooting into scenes, and basically clean up the timelines so I can go right to work. This usually takes him a day and a half. My question is, we want to give him on-screen credit, but I don't know what that credit would be. He's not an Assistant Editor, because he has nothing to do with the actual cutting of the show (and I never see him after the prep); he's not a DIT, because that job has all been done before he gets the project. All I can think of is "Assistant To The Editors," which seems accurate enough, but I've never heard that one before. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Credits question
on Oct 8, 2019 at 12:42:26 pm

[David Dean] "He's not an Assistant Editor, because he has nothing to do with the actual cutting of the show"

Doesn't matter, he should get AE credit.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2019 at 5:33:04 pm

[David Dean] "He's not an Assistant Editor, because he has nothing to do with the actual cutting of the show"

Yes he is. EDITORS cut the show. Assistant often will add sound effects or music, but their main job is ingesting and prepping the footage for the edit. Syncing, organizing, outputting.

So...

[David Dean] "it's his job to make sure the multiclips are in sync with the production audio, break down the day's shooting into scenes, and basically clean up the timelines so I can go right to work."

...what you describe there are exactly the duties of an assistant editor. "Assistant to the Editors," as you put it...makes him an ASSISTANT EDITOR.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Dean
on Oct 9, 2019 at 12:22:08 pm

Okay, thank you. It's been decades since I was an assistant, and I was there during the entire editing process, in proximity to the editor. And somehow during my entire career I've never had a job where I HAD an assistant, so I didn't know what the current job description is. I'm grateful for your responses.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 9, 2019 at 4:37:10 pm

Yeah, sadly the assistants don't get to sit in proximity anymore...they are relegated to working at night, or in a separate room. Learning how to edit on the job is a lot harder anymore.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]