ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Editing Multiphone camera problem

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Whitehouse
Editing Multiphone camera problem
on Sep 18, 2019 at 6:48:47 pm

I just shot a promotional piece for someone using an Apple 8 and Galaxy S9+ cell phone. The audio was on the talent using a Zoom H1 and a lavalier mic. All that worked as it should.

I could bring in the primary audio and sync it with either the Apple or Galaxy video footage.

I did convert the Apple 8 video to the Galaxy 9+ format in Adobe Media Encoder and ended up with two .mp4 files to work with.

The multicam function worked fine in Premiere Pro.

My problem is getting the H1 audio on the track after I complete the multicam timeline. I exported it to an .mp4 file and then imported that to Premiere Pro and tried to replace the existing phone audio with the Zoom H1 audio.

I can't get this to work - can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
Mike Whitehouse

Return to posts index

Mike janowski
Re: Editing Multiphone camera problem
on Sep 19, 2019 at 2:26:53 am

Why don’t you just replace the audio before you edit? That’s a no-brainer to me...

Return to posts index

Mike Whitehouse
on Sep 19, 2019 at 5:46:59 am

Replacing the audio on both clips before I tried the multi camera edit was the very first thing I did. That was easy and it worked great.

The problem was putting both those clips together to "create the multi camera source sequence".

This seemed to work and it rendered a merged sequence that I thought would work but it didn't. I couldn't see or get the two videos to come up to view in the "merged multi camera view". They come up in the "merged multi camera view" before I replace the sound from the phone with my Zoom H1 source sound. That process seems to negate the ability of these two files to then be used in multi camera view.

Why this happens I don't know - perhaps because swapping the camera sound with the Zoom H1 sound produces a processed file that won't work in the multi camera process?

I admit I am a beginner and this may be something very simple I have overlooked but I have spent hours trying to solve this problem and to no avail...

I would be very appreciative of any assistance?

Kindest regards,
Mike Whitehouse

Return to posts index

Mike Whitehouse
on Sep 19, 2019 at 8:34:51 am

I managed to sort this problem out myself:

The Apple iPhone 8, Galaxy S9+ and the Zoom H1 had some different formats which prevented swapping and processing the audio and bringing a .mov and .mp4 file in to make a multi camera source sequence.

The solution was to bring the two video and one audio files into Adobe Media Encoder and render them all to Apple ProRes 422.

Everything worked perfectly when I imported these three files back into the Premiere Pro project panel. Highlighted all three files - right click to "create multi camera source sequence" - import sequenced file into timeline - edit video for camera 1 & camera 2.

It was easy when you know how - thanks Adobe for a fantastic program!

I

Return to posts index

Mike janowski
on Sep 19, 2019 at 1:39:07 pm

Bravo, great workaround. Premiere is rather format-agnostic, but as you found It DOES work better with a single codec in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Mike Whitehouse
on Sep 19, 2019 at 8:04:36 pm

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this problem for me.

In the end I solved it myself and what I learned was:

1. Put all your files through Media Encoder so they all have the same codec or it won't work well or just not work at all, like in this case.

2. Apple ProRes 422 and the other ProRes codecs are my "go-to" codecs as they just work so well based on my experience.

Next time Mike and thanks again for your interest.

Mike Whitehouse

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]