ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Question Regarding Rendering Dynamic Link (Pr/Ae)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Callahan
Question Regarding Rendering Dynamic Link (Pr/Ae)
on Aug 28, 2019 at 6:29:00 pm

Long time lurker...full time poster! I've finally encountered an issue significant enough for me to create an account and post 😃

My question is pretty straightforward.

I have a sequence in premiere containing a series of edited interview clips from different people on the same background. There was an issue with the background that required me to select all the clips, and "replace with after effects composition" so that I could take out the issues in the background. I recognize that might not have been the best approach, but it's where I'm at now.

In my Premiere sequence, my series of clips are now one, 2 min long .aep file that is dynamically linked. Because the base footage is 4K content (with color correction applied), it takes quite some time to render. The issue I'm experiencing is that if I go into the .aep file (that is dynamically linked) and change something incredibly small (like nudge one clip that's only on screen for 2 seconds) it will require the ENTIRE sequence to be re-rendered...as it will add the red bar above the entire .aep dynamic link file in my sequence.

For obvious reasons, this is problematic. Especially considering that normally, when you render something, the video preview files are saved and can be applied to your clips so that you don't need to re-render every time you make a change. I expected that to be the case with this as well...but for some reason, you have to re-render the ENTIRE .aep clip file.

Is there a way around this I'm not thinking of? It's causing massive delays, and I'm not sure how to handle the situation. Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Question Regarding Rendering Dynamic Link (Pr/Ae)
on Aug 28, 2019 at 7:24:29 pm

Probably I do not understand correctly, but I would render in AE, import that file. When changes come, go into AE and make changes, make that the work area, export only that and lay into PPro timeline.

Ricky

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Aug 29, 2019 at 8:38:29 am

Hi there. I'm guessing you are not on a super very powerful machine?

Eitherway, there's always a workflow that can help, it's just a matter of finding it.

1.) In After Effects, if you happen to be using the Roto Brush, then you are absolutely going to have play back issues. If this is the case you will need to 'Freeze' the roto brush before you continue compositing in AE and going back to Premiere.

2.) As 4K clips are going to push your machine to the max, i'd usually recommend making Proxy files in Premiere quite early in the process. When you Send to After Effects, Premiere sends both the original and the proxy files to the AE project and then in AE you can switch back and forth. Obviously the proxies will perform much faster and you'll only need to use the originals for your final renders.

3.) In Premiere, rather than Rendering the timeline and the Dynamically linked clips, you should 'Render and Replace'. This will make you higher quality rendered files and you're editing should be real-time. Then if you need to go back to AE to make some tweaks in your Comp you can fo that quickly. When you need to see those tweaks again in the Premiere timeline you can selected the Rendered clip and select 'Restore Unrendered' this will relink the Dynamically linked clip and you'll see your changes on the timeline. (Again this will need to be 'Render and Replaced' if your machine has problems playing it back in realtime.)

Hope those suggestions help.

Let me know if you need any more clarity;)

John Williams

Soho Editors

Return to posts index

Ank Carl
on Aug 30, 2019 at 8:33:31 am

Thanks. I'm in somewhat of the same predicament with afx comps in my tml. Tried proxy files, and now its a reasonable render time.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Sep 4, 2019 at 6:30:03 pm

When Dynamic Linked AE comps slow down my PPro timeline, I will render in AE, not replace the comp in my PPro timeline, but place in a layer above. That way if I need to trim or go back to AE and change it, I just right click the comp layer and edit it. Keeps it all on the timeline, rather than replacing the comp.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]