ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Building a new PC for 4K editing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Rojas
Building a new PC for 4K editing
on Jul 22, 2019 at 7:26:48 pm

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could help me build a new PC for 4K editing.

In terms of video cards I've heard good thing about the RTX 2060. It's sgot 8GB of Vram, but is that enough?
For Processors, i'm looking at the Intel - Core i9-9980XE 3 GHz 18-Core Processor. Will that be ok for 4k?
as far as storage goes I was thinking of the Samsung-970 Evo-1 TB. It's m2, and my friends say it's really fast, but they use it for gaming, and I don't know if the one translates to the other.

Any help you all could give would be great!

thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Building a new PC for 4K editing
on Jul 22, 2019 at 8:45:44 pm

Take a look at these specs to give you a better idea.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2019/04/03/are-you-ready-for-a-custom-pc...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Merlin Vandenbossche
on Jul 22, 2019 at 9:02:22 pm

Hello Felix,

The guys over at Puget systems do an insane amount of hardware tests with content creation software. They publish all results on their blogs and website. It is a good resource to compare hardware options when building a machine.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Prem...

Given the info in the above article there are a few roads you may consider:

- The 9980XE, while technically being the fastest, may not be the most 'valuable' option. Like you can see: the 16-core and 14-core come insanely close to the same level of performance in Premiere Pro. So consider getting the 16 or 14-core version of the Core-X instead and spend the money you save on more RAM or GPU.

If you are also considering the 'mainstream' line of CPU's, the 9900K is THE way to go. The i9 is the best scoring CPU for After Effects and Photoshop (because of high clock speed) and is great for editing GOP-based codecs (H.264/HEVC). An intel CPU with integrated graphics allows premiere pro to playback and export GOP-codecs faster than Xeon or Core-X.

- If you choose to save money on the 18-core CPU, buy a better GPU. While the RTX 2060 is good value overall, it gets beat by an RTX 2080 Ti by a fair margin. It's kind of a weird combo to do a RTX 2060 with a really expensive 18-core CPU. Get the 2080 Ti, it is the 'best value' compared to other really expensive GPU's like quadro or titan. Other apps like Resolve will also love you for the better GPU.

- You didn't mention RAM: I would do 64 GB or more if you can for a machine of this budget. (I assume you are going fairly expensive since you are planning to buy an 9980XE). 32 GB is the minimum for comfortable 4K.

- You are absolutely right about the NVMe SSD: get them as much as you can. Get one of about 256-512 GB for booting and apps, and get one of 1 TB+ for storing the Premiere Pro Cache and Database and/or storing media.

Return to posts index

Felix Rojas
on Jul 23, 2019 at 2:01:43 pm

Thanks for all the info! I'll price all this stuff out. it helps a lot :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]