ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Where do you put the music when doing a 5.1 mix in Premiere?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
Where do you put the music when doing a 5.1 mix in Premiere?
on Jul 18, 2019 at 11:40:25 pm

What I mean is, I am doing a 5.1 mix for a project and it's my first time doing a 5.1. I understand the concept, about wherever you place the black dot in the audio mixer, is wherever the sound will be in the mix.

However, when it comes to the music tracks, where do you place the black dot for those? What speakers should the music come out of in a 5.1 mix?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Where do you put the music when doing a 5.1 mix in Premiere?
on Jul 19, 2019 at 11:06:20 am

Music should go to front Left and Right.
Not Centre
Some / most mixers / I will send it to rear left and rear right via a reverb and often delay it by a few ms to create an immersive feel. (optional)
Lastly, if there is sub content in the music this would go the .1 channel via an eq plug to stop all but the sub element.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 19, 2019 at 12:45:45 pm

Oh okay thanks. What do you mean by subcontent?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 19, 2019 at 1:23:19 pm

Content that is is the "sub bass area" so less than 100hz
Peter

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 19, 2019 at 11:44:23 pm

Oh okay, but the music is already recorded, so any instruments that are 100z, that are on there wouldn't be able to be put on that track now, unless I am misunderstanding?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 20, 2019 at 4:02:48 am

I also want to ask, how do you direct certain audio to the .1 channel when the .1 channel is not in the audio mixer in Premiere Pro?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 20, 2019 at 10:38:00 am

Hi again.

So the truth is that I'd never use Premiere Pro for any sound work let alone a surround mix, so I don't know about the software process in Premeiere. I do know about the cross platform rules and processes that are consistent with any surround mix including Pro Tools which is in my studio.

Id suggest you have a watch through this tutorial to help with Premiere specific issues

re
Oh okay, but the music is already recorded, so any instruments that are 100z, that are on there wouldn't be able to be put on that track now, unless I am misunderstanding?

Thats why i mentioned this line in my reply
"via an eq plug to stop all but the sub element."

You send all the music (if it has LF content) to the .1 and the eq filter is set to remove ALL BUT the low freq (LF) content.

1 last comment.
IFyour project is for a commercial use, ie you have a client and it is for cinema or tv use, then I strongly recommend getting a professional post house to do this for you. To get a 5.1 mix completed so it passes tech spec for broadcast is not something you will be able to do unless
1) You have specific metering
2) Your monitors are specced and positioned absolutely correctly and matched
3) You have loudness monitoring and understanding
4) Understand exactly what the deliverables are for the broadcaster and what file type exactly

IF your project is a less commercial one, then enjoy the creation and learning process and have fun.

Peter

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Jul 20, 2019 at 6:33:40 pm

Oh okay, well it's a short film I just intended for youtube, but people said I really should send it into festivals, but a lot of theaters have 5.1 set ups,

My problem or misunderstanding seems to be the music cause in Premiere Pro, they show all the speakers but the left and right speaker are so far to the front, that I am afraid the music is going to sound further away, to the front of the theater compared to everything else. Is that normal?

Like they show the black dots in Premiere Pro, and I have the black dots for the music in the far left and far right speakers, but the voices are not not near as far in comparison, if that's okay?

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 24, 2019 at 6:48:25 am

Thats all down to levels, mix and eq.
Youll need to "mix" to your taste, respecting the meters.
This is 1 reason why the actual surround speakers youre using are crucial.
They need to be matched correctly, positioned correctly and set up correctly so the mix decisions youre making are correct, rather than just compensating for incorrect mixing room/space/speakers.
Theres lots of info online about speaker positioning and distances, and setup. most use a rotating white noise signal.
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]