ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Proxy for C300 MarkII in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Mark Lyall
Proxy for C300 MarkII in Premiere Pro
on Jul 15, 2019 at 4:38:25 pm

Greetings Friends,
Just got a canon C300 MarkII and am in love with the 4K image. I am recording to Atomos Inferno and SD card. The problem I have is when I bring it into Premiere Pro CC 2019 on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2015, with 2.8Ghz Intel Corei7 with 16GB 16Mhz DDR3 with a Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB) from the Inferno Hard Drive and select proxy, it opens up Adobe Media Encoder CC 2019, but then nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Some questions:
1. How do I get the proxy feature in Premiere to work?
2. Is there a way to just use the Inferno footage and make a proxy, edit it, and then have Premiere conform the the 4K to the proxy?
3. Or, is there a way to use the SD card proxy from the camera, edit it, and then have Premiere edit the 4K from the Inferno to conform to it.

I am an ex-FCP user since they went to 10, but a friend of mine showed me how when the footage was imported to FCP it immediately made a low res proxy that he could switch between with the Hi-def one. I hate FCPX and refuse to go back, and the color correction in Premiere was so much better (one I imported some LUTs). Please help!
Sincerely
Mark

Return to posts index

John Heiser
Re: Proxy for C300 MarkII in Premiere Pro
on Jul 15, 2019 at 7:58:09 pm

I haven't worked with file from that camera, but if it's creating proxies for you, you can easily attach those. Right-click the clip(s) > Proxy > Attach proxies. Navigate to the folder containing the proxy for the highlighted file, highlight that proxy and click Attach. Premiere should find and attach proxies for all the clips from your selection that are in that folder. Then turn on proxies in the viewer (drag this button into the control area):

Even when editing with proxies, Premiere will export and render from the original files. Be sure to turn off proxies while color grading, especially if you're using secondaries or Hue/Saturation curves.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas - Birmingham, AL

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8GB
G-Speed Studio TB-2 12TB RAID-5

Return to posts index

Mark Lyall
on Jul 16, 2019 at 12:16:27 pm

I want to thank the friends for the quick responses. Unfortunately, it appears that Premiere is not able to make proxy files for the Canon C300 Mark II as it exports 4 tracks of Audio. I found a great video on how to make proxy files if anyone is interested:
https://www.premieregal.com/blog/2018/7/18/how-to-use-proxies-to-edit-fast-...
But alas it does not work for my camera and an error message appears when the file moves over to media encoder. On the other hand FCP handles this camera's files. I hate to go back, as I have never forgave apple for the complete overhaul of FCPX (in my opinion trashing a great interface) , but without adobe wanting to create a software update for the C300 Mark II (if anyone is listening) I am begrudgingly forced to return.
Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jul 16, 2019 at 3:01:21 pm

You should do a google search on making proxies to get up to speed. There's no issue with the Canon C300 and making proxies in Premiere. Premiere can make proxies from virtually any camera type. If you're having issues it means there's something problematic on your system.

Also, the main benefit of proxies is reducing the CPU load when editing. However, if you create H264 file proxies you'll run into heavy CPU load due to H264 being a CPU intensive format. You'll have much better overall performance if you stick to using Cineform as your proxy format.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Mark Lyall
on Jul 17, 2019 at 2:05:26 pm

Thanks for all the help. The problem was I was using 1024X540 H.264 which kept giving me an error message regarding the audio tracks not being supported. When I selected 1024X540 AppleProRes422 Proxy all my problems went away.

Thanks for the help!
Mark

Return to posts index

John Heiser
on Jul 17, 2019 at 6:34:43 pm

I think you'll find the ProRes Proxy files work much more smoothly than the h.264 files, too. If you have disk space (and as cheap as storage is, why don't you), ProRes Proxy is a great choice.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas - Birmingham, AL

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8GB
G-Speed Studio TB-2 12TB RAID-5

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]