ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Corrupt Premiere project - xml wrench still a thing?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex ezorsky
Corrupt Premiere project - xml wrench still a thing?
on Jun 8, 2019 at 12:03:37 pm

Working on windows 10 surface book 2 and Premiere 2019 v13.1 using an external SSD drive formatted in exfat

In order to edit while on a trip I transferred my project folder to an external ssd drive from my desktop pc and worked on the project via my laptop for a week. Everything worked fine all week, I get back and all the project files I worked on AND their autosaves give me a "project appears to be damaged and cannot be opened" error. Now whats super strange is that any autosaves that were originally transferred to the SSD from BEFORE I started using my laptop are fine and can be opened on my laptop. The project files I made while on the trip are the only ones that seem corrupted and yet they still have normal file sizes and extensions and otherwise look fine.

Failed troubleshooting attempts:
- Opening on desktop
- Transferring project file only to new folder
- checking the drive letter is the same
- Importing into new project - "project could not be opened"
- Importing into After Effects - "project could not be opened"
- Trashing preferences

I wanted to try the XML wrench method but opening any project file, be that my working projects or corrupt projects, into XML wrench either with our without re-naming the file extension from prproj to xml just returns ‹ so there must be something I'm doing wrong or else this method does not work for modern versions of PR. I guess this is where I'm asking for most help, unless someone has any other suggestions in general.

My best guesses as to what happened:
I unplugged the drive strangely and corrupted some data
Somehow everything I did on the SSD was "writing" in a slightly weird way and when I got back and the data corruption only altered those files.
This makes sense because the videos I exported during the trip are also giving me corruption errors upon import (but also have normal filesizes)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
Re: Corrupt Premiere project - xml wrench still a thing?
on Jun 11, 2019 at 5:21:30 pm

Look, I really don't know Premiere, but are you using the same software version on both the laptop and desktop? Or is the laptop a newer version? I had to 'downgrade' a project I got from 2019 to 2018 and I think I got that message at some point before I did that.

Then again I could be completely wrong! Just spitballing until someone else comes along with a solution...

Return to posts index

Lucas Afonso Tonezer
Re: Corrupt Premiere project - xml wrench still a thing?
on Sep 2, 2019 at 2:29:35 pm

Hey, did you discover how to repair the xml file? I'm having the same issue, xmlwrench says that have a problem on line 1, but the line 1 is: ‹.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]