ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adjusting Audio in Premiere Pro...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Adjusting Audio in Premiere Pro...
on May 14, 2019 at 3:41:38 pm

So, I often have to manually ride the audio and mix as fast as I can. My question about audio is, what do you all do to level audio more quickly? Do you use "Normalize" or do you adjust the track to a certain gain? I would like to be quicker with audio, and wanted to know if there are faster ways to level audio, large interviews, or large edits, all at once. When the person in the interview gets softer, I want to bring them up, and also bring down the parts where they get louder. I just want to be able top balance the audio and not have to do it all manually, all of the time. In some cases, yes, but not all of the time.

Also, is there a "broadcast" or "editor" standard for audio levels - that you use for audio for people, and what levels they should average, as well as music? I try to keep people at -6 to -9, and I keep music under -30 to -42, depends on the music track....

Any thoughts?

Tom

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Adjusting Audio in Premiere Pro...
on May 14, 2019 at 4:41:28 pm

The single best audio tutorial that I've come across is Paul Murphy's "Adobe Audition: Mixing Music and Dialogue." It's on LinkedIn Learning and it covers everything you need to know to create master audio that's normalized and mixed well.

tallmanproductions.net

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 14, 2019 at 7:24:26 pm

I always manually adjust...i have far better control. I use Avid, and that has an AUTO DUCKING tool, but it's TOO precise, I like doing it my way.

As for "broadcast standard," It's all up to each network, but some have -10dB as the peak, some want -12dB. Something like this is what I see:

• 48 kHz at 24bit
• Loudness: using full mix surround
• -24 LKFS +or- 1 for each SEGMENT (ACT) of the program material
• Using ATSC RP A/85 implementation for ITU BS.1770-4
• Surround: - 6 dBFS Max Peak (with true peak scale) & -20 dBFS reference
• Stereo: -10 dBFS Max Peak (with true peak scale) & -20 dBFS reference

But I leave all that up to the audio mixer.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 15, 2019 at 3:29:26 am

Premiere now has an auto-ducking feature built into sound panel.

if you're talking about balancing all audio clips before final mixing, you can normalize, then use audition's RMS root mean square, then polish with a LUFS standard for your geographic area.

There's also some auto fader plugins for audition, but any fader itself will also raise/lower noise, so sometimes its better to use audio compression. 2-3:1 is a good rule of thumb. actual levels of -23db quiet talking, -10db loud talking, -2db yelling is a rough guide, but leaves room for dynamic range.

try it both ways and see which sounds better for your ears.

Return to posts index

Matthew Ruiz
on May 15, 2019 at 7:19:59 am

Hello.
What I like to do is right click on my audio, and then select edit in Adobe Audition. There, there are plenty of options under the effects tab, such as normalize. I find that Audition usually does it much better than in any other program. And while you're at it you can add some graphic equalizer effects to really make your audio sound nice. Additionally, audition makes it really quick and easy to select a bit of the audio clip and increase the gain. As far as leveling goes, I think that you're fine at around -6, but I don't think I would go to -9. I normally use -6.

Return to posts index

Lee Doucet
on May 18, 2019 at 10:51:34 pm

How many other applications have you used, though?

There are DAWs that import Premiere Pro AAFs fairly flawlessly, and are pretty good from an Audio Engineering standpoint (Samplitude, for example). The are also Wave Editors like Sound Forge and WaveLabs that do this very well - even years-old versions...

Audition is certainly not needed, though it may be more convenient to some. If you already have CC All Apps, then it should be your obvious first choice.

Plus, it costs so much more in the long-term. Premiere Pro by itself is palatable to me, but using Audition means going All Apps; and there is too much unnecessary stuff in there to justify the cost - stuff that I don't need (but would have to force myself to use simply to justify the tariff).

Generally, I don't do audio work beyond what it necessary for timing, etc. in my NLE. Once I'm done with the video, then I bring everything into my DAW and do all of the audio there. This also makes the entire process/workflow less distracting to me, and a bit more efficient.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]