ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Editing Tele Show/Need recommendations for iMac/Harddrive

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Reeves
Editing Tele Show/Need recommendations for iMac/Harddrive
on Apr 23, 2019 at 9:22:14 pm
Last Edited By Jake Reeves on Apr 23, 2019 at 9:23:10 pm

I am going to be editing a television show in Premiere. Its a simple, 13 episode show. Nothing too fancy. Really don't expect sfx or anything like that. Two, maybe three cameras. Most everything will be shot in 1080. Some in 4k. However, I would like to buy something that would allow me online 4k editing if needed.

I will be buying a new iMac and hard drive configuration dedicated to this.

If you were to order an iMac for this set up to have best possible operating speed, what would that setup look like?

For storage, what kind of RAID system would you have and, specifically, what drive would you purchase?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Editing Tele Show/Need recommendations for iMac/Harddrive
on Apr 23, 2019 at 10:41:00 pm

You'll be fine with a top-spec 5K iMac (SSD internal, 32GB-64GB RAM, top GPU) and a TB3 Promise Pegasus RAID.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Heiser
on Apr 24, 2019 at 3:38:33 pm

Oliver's suggestion should get you started. But you should understand that 4k (or presumably UHD), depending on how it's recorded, can slow down a system. You would be well advised to create ProRes Proxy proxies for your 4k/UHD material. This will make editing a smoother process.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas
Birmingham

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 24, 2019 at 3:47:22 pm

All very true, however, if you get the top specs, including a faster RAID, it can easily handle 4K from professional cameras (Alexa, EVA1, etc). I caution though that Premiere is not one of the best NLEs for editing 4K, especially when in a 1080 timeline. In my experience FCPX does a much better job. Certain format, like GH5 and some drone codecs are tougher to deal with.

The shop I work in has a mix of machines, including 5K iMacs and we deal with a lot of 4K content and cut in Premiere Pro. Because our media and projects are on a NAS, the performance is limited by the network, more so than machine power. In our case, for shorter project with faster turnarounds, we work all natively at full-res. But for longer-form projects where we have time to make a nice story, we use the Adobe proxy workflow, which is very smooth.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]