ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

what is a good drive setup for one 120gb SSD and two 7200rpm HDD ?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
reko tomo
what is a good drive setup for one 120gb SSD and two 7200rpm HDD ?
on Apr 19, 2019 at 4:35:30 am

I read quite a lot from the internet about drive setup for Adobe Premiere.
But reading a lot of info about this made me confuse as I find that some said "don't put media cache files on the same OS/PremiereApp drive but put the media cache files on other internal drive" --- the other said "it's ok to put media cache files on the same OS/PremiereApp drive".

Currently my computer is like this :
- One 500gb HDD, partitioned as C: drive and D: drive
- One 300gb HDD just for any files (E: drive).

The Premiere drive setup when I do a video editing, all goes to D: drive except for the final export, I export to E: drive.

I copy the MTS/AVCHD video footages from my handycam to the D: /folder X, import them to Premiere, then save the prproj file to the same folder X. All the media cache files (cfa etc) and the media database files generated by Premiere are also saved on D: drive.

I'm planning to buy a 120gb SSD (Adata SU650 is in my mind), and I am thinking on how do I do the drive setup.

A.
- SSD for the OS only (fresh install)
- one HDD for the MTS footage files, etc
- one HDD for Premiere media cache files.
- export to ???

or
B.
- SSD for the OS (fresh install) AND
- SSD also for the Premiere media cache files
- one HDD for the footage files
- one HDD for export final file

or
C.
- nothing change to my current computer drive setup
- the SSD will be used only for the media cache files

or
D. other better configuration if any.

For information, I don't do the capture and at max I only do 1080i (sometimes 1080p) video but never 4K.

Any kind of respond would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: what is a good drive setup for one 120gb SSD and two 7200rpm HDD ?
on Apr 19, 2019 at 10:39:17 am

In your current setup, even though the drive is partitioned, your applications and media are still on the same physical drive. AVOID THAT.

It is acceptable to have you media and cache files on the same drive, but having them on separate drives is better. Your proposed SSD for OS and apps is small, so I would avoid cache files on that drive.

I would certainly use the SSD for OS and apps only. You could take your two drives and RAID them for redundancy or performance. No real advantage to rendering final work to another drive unless that is an organizational preference.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on Apr 19, 2019 at 3:35:59 pm

Hi Jon,
Thank you your kind reply.

Not long before, I have 3 HDD drives (SATA). That time I've tried to put Premiere Media cache files on different drive (E: drive), not to my OS physical drive (partitioned as C: and D:), while the MTS video file I put in D: drive.

But to be honest, I can't tell the difference between putting the Premiere Media Cache files to D: (OS physical drive) and to E: (different physical drive).

I feel it's just the same when Premiere generates cfa files on importing MTS file and when I do the editing process. But maybe it's because I don't do too many heavy editing (composite, color grading, etc), mostly it's just for a home video. That's why I just put Premiere generated files on the same D drive.

About a month ago, one of the HDD is dead.
That's why now I'm planning to buy a SSD.

Why I put option B, because for years until now my C: drive (100gig partitioned) never reach more than 50gb filled with Win7 OS, Adobe Premiere, After Effect, Office, Firefox, Chrome, and some other "little" programs. That's why I thought rather than the rest of the SSD space not used the whole time maybe it's OK to put Premiere generated files on that empty space.

About RAID, I've read internet articles about it. But I don't think I'm able to do it as because some said it can give a headache if one of the drive fail.

Anyway, I will go with your advice (SSD just for OS and App) once I have the SSD.

Thank you once again, Jon.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Apr 20, 2019 at 10:06:17 am

You are welcome. With only two additional drives, your RAID options are admittedly limited.

With your indication that it is primarily personal video work without intensive effects or color correction, I would use the SSD for OS and apps, one of the other two for projects and footage, and the third drive for cache. I think over time you will be happiest (and computer fastest and most stable) with that.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

reko tomo
on Apr 22, 2019 at 6:05:20 am

I already ordered the 120gb SSD.
I will update you once it arrive and installed to my PC :).
Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]