ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

H.265 and AME Render Performance (or lack thereof)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark thompson
H.265 and AME Render Performance (or lack thereof)
on Apr 13, 2019 at 11:52:18 am

Hi,
just posting to see if anyone else is getting the same problem. I completed an edit for a small video (about 4 minutes). The original clip was UHD SLog2 from a Sony A7S2 and due to poor lighting I did try the new Hue vs Lum controls in CC 2019 latest.
When you queue this video it seems to select H.265 by default, a reasonable choice in 2019. However I've not got the video to render yet. A couple of times it failed due to disk full and a couple of times it just hangs and the process goes "not responding" ☹

Changing the Render setting to H.264 solves the problem completely. The render time is a few minutes as you would expect.
Is anyone getting good results with H.265?

Note: the disks are not full or anywhere near. I am using a single Lacie Rugged USB drive to render to and all the material is there. I believe when AME loops some power management happens to that drive and that is the interpretation that results.

Windows 10 HE 1809. 32Gb. 17763. 437
Nvidia GeForce 2080 8192 Mb

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: H.265 and AME Render Performance (or lack thereof)
on Apr 13, 2019 at 12:19:17 pm

I find this highly amusing.
How can you shoot with too less light with a cam like this?
Light a candle in the middle of the church and you have enough light...

Now, forget about H265. It has no purpose at all in post production nor delivery. (Yet, this WILL change in a few years.)
You render to a decent simple codec like DNxHD / HR, Prores or alike.
If you have to deliver to Youtube, it will be re-compressed, so you upload as large as you can.
If there is a limit to your upload size or speed, H264 in beserk high settings will be small enough.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Apr 14, 2019 at 10:41:45 am

that made me laugh ☺ I blame it on the camera guy! To be fair it was a mixed lighting scenario, plenty of light there just not on the faces of the presenters.
Good point about H265 but if it is a feature of Premiere/AME it should at least work.

Return to posts index

Joseph Freeman III
on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:32:00 pm

Hi Mark,

I have used h265 as my presentation codec of choice for the past 6-7 months. In most instances rendering was in AME, over Premiere Pro. All work shared with the directors on each project has been accepted with no complaints.

At the beginning of each project, I have inquired if h265 would be ok and received permission.

I find the quality to be many times greater than h264 and rendering at the default settings produces a same size file as h264, just that rendering takes longer.

Joseph

Windows10, i7-5820, 64 GB, 1080 Ti/Asus PB287Q, 14 TB (He,SSD,SataIII), cc2019.1.0

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Apr 16, 2019 at 11:03:20 pm

Hi Joseph,

that's encouraging.
I'll try a couple of test projects.

Are you working with UHD or HD?

thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Freeman III
on Apr 17, 2019 at 3:21:39 pm

Orginial content has been both HD and 4k.

When I have used max render settings and 16 bit color depth, the results were even better and for super max quality I have increased the bit rate and max bit rate.

Keep at it, I believe h265 will gain greater popularity.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Apr 17, 2019 at 6:57:57 pm

You know you can go up to 32 bits float, do you?

Make sure your sound is 192 Khz at least, or it will be horrible and unaudible.

Bouke

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 20, 2019 at 3:24:28 pm

[Bouke Vahl] "Make sure your sound is 192 Khz at least, or it will be horrible and unaudible."

I don't know if you meant Khz, which is absolutely not true at all, you should stick with 48Khz, or if you meant Mbps, which is also not true. For voice, you can go as low as 96Kbps, but 160 is more than enough if your audio track is just talking and no music.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Apr 21, 2019 at 3:19:47 am

Gary,
You are totally missing the point :-)

Bouke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]