ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro Interface Lag (2018 and 2019)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Spiropoulos
Premiere Pro Interface Lag (2018 and 2019)
on Mar 19, 2019 at 1:24:55 pm

this is a crosspost from the official Adobe forum site. I'm desperatešŸ˜©ā€¦

So far this issue only appears to be happening when working with existing project files made by two of my nine in-house Mac edit suites, editors Ben (Edit 8) and Andrew (Edit 1), I'm naming them just so you can keep track of which stations I'm referring to. Both culprit stations are top spec iMac Pros with ATTO thunderlinks

connecting to the same SAN storage as all other stations. Premiere Pro, both 2018 and 2019, is having lag issues when interacting with all areas of the interface. Any area I click or attempt a keystroke is problematic. Almost every attempt at clicking or typing induces a delay and or pin-wheel. Initially, the issue occurs every couple of seconds with a pinwheel length of 1-3 seconds. Over an hour or two, the delay/pinwheel length grows and grows up to about 6 seconds, while still happening on almost every interactive or every other interaction. The only temporary fix is to import the most important aspect of a project, the main edit timeline, into a freshly made project file, losing all of my media and bins not already used in that timeline. Any other attempt at importing more than one timeline or unused media doesn't make the temporary fix. This fix is only temporary because the interface lag creeps back, requiring another fresh project import of the timeline. Many times when I close any of the problem projects, a small popup window with a title of 'Run Script Error' is shown with body text of 'Uncaught exception' and an okay button. The lag issue is happening on a second workstation, user Jacy in Edit 7 (iMac Pro, top spec, with the exact same configuration as the iMac Pros that originally created the project files that lag) but the original workstation that created the project files do not experience the lag. Deleting everything (media, generated items, and timelines) from all open projects fixes the issue so the software no longer lags.

The timelines play fine for me in Edit 4 (Nick), they just take a few seconds the start and after hitting the spacebar can take up to 6 seconds to stop. After Effects, Finder, and all other software are having no issues so I don't believe the issue to be our storage I/O or throughput.

COMPUTER INFO
  • Processor: Intel Xeon E5 12-Core at 2.7 GHz
  • Installed memory: 128 GB
  • System type: MacPro 6,1
  • Graphics Card: AMD FirePro D700 6GB

HARD DRIVE INFO
  • 1 TB Factory Flash
  • ATTO Thunderlink fiber channel to 300TB Quantum xSAN, StorNext 6.x.x

PROJECT INFO
  • Premiere Version: Premiere Pro CC (2018) 12.1.2 and (2019) 13.0.3
  • Footage: Sony MXF OP1 (4k), REDcode 8:1 (4k - 8k), MP4s from stock sites, MOV (photo-jpeg) (HD-UHD), ProRes LT through 4444, WAVs at 44.1 and 48kHz
  • TRT of the timelines: Various lengths from 1 min to 26 min
  • All media is on the SAN
  • Current project file size: Various projects from under 1MB up to 40MB

FAILED FIX ATTEMPTS
  • Switched from GPU playback to CPU
  • Exporting 'selection as project' (selected the main edit timeline)
  • Deactivating Mercury Transmit all together
  • Switched RAM from Performance to Memory
  • Held Option and Shift to clear cache and preferences
  • Cleared the media cache folders using the Clean button in Media Preferences. Also went to the cache folders and deleted them manually.
  • Cleared Sync data from Adobe website and re-sync'd settings
  • Deleted all adobe ID sync settings and recreated from scratch
  • limited interface to a single main 4k screen (5K LG sold by Apple) while trying all default workspaces
  • Created blank new project and imported only the main edit timeline (only works temporarily for a couple of minutes)
  • Importing the entire problem project does not work
  • Lag is greatly reduced but when importing the single timeline but is not completely removed, and it creeps back after a few minutes of use.
  • Uninstalled Premiere and reinstalled

Return to posts index

Leonardo Giuli
Re: Premiere Pro Interface Lag (2018 and 2019)
on Nov 30, 2019 at 9:15:14 pm

hi nick, i have the same problem with premiere cc17
do you solve the problem?

Return to posts index

Nick Spiropoulos
on Dec 2, 2019 at 1:41:55 pm

!!! Delete Insta360 !!!

Here's what I posted on the Adobe forum. Sorry that I forgot to cross-post here. Hope this helps.

Warning: If you've ever used Insta360 software, uninstall the extensions from Premiere. There is a known issue with the Insta360 VR video stitching panel extension that makes Premiere go crazy, causing catastrophic interface lag. This is not an issue with Adobe's Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

Leonardo Giuli
on Dec 5, 2019 at 2:49:35 pm

You are my savior!
thanks a lot, damned insta360 software! i'm going crazy!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]