ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Same source footage, multiple editors

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Don Hertz
Same source footage, multiple editors
on Mar 4, 2019 at 8:06:46 pm

I have multiple editors that are going to be working on different Premiere projects, but each using the same source footage to pull clips from in building their sequence.

Can I safely have one copy of the source footage on a shared NAS with all of the them reading it at the same time but each writing to their own projects or do I need to make a copy of the source footage for each editor?

Thank you.

Don

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Same source footage, multiple editors
on Mar 4, 2019 at 8:29:12 pm

[Don Hertz] "Can I safely have one copy of the source footage on a shared NAS with all of the them reading it at the same time but each writing to their own projects"

Yes. Just make sure you have the bandwidth for everyone to be working at once.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on Mar 4, 2019 at 8:37:57 pm

Thanks Oliver.

Don

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Mar 4, 2019 at 10:05:43 pm

There’s a bunch of posts about shared storage on the cow ... http://bfy.tw/Maht

Avid’s Nexis is a good option for shared storage - not super expensive any more.
As an editor I’d always rather use Avid in shared environments though (TBH I’m pretty much back on Avid mostly, now they’ve got linked media and editable groups).

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 5, 2019 at 12:24:24 am

A lot of it comes down to budget and system demands. For example, if you are dealing mainly with Premiere's internal proxy workflow (or FCPX's proxy for that matter), then you aren't taxing the system much. OTOH, if you are constantly dealing with 4K native media, it's a whole different story. In the Premiere world, I would suggest LumaForge or QNAP as viable options. Each company has several different ranges of models, with a long list of satisfied customers. Likewise, Avid Nexis Pro is also something to consider for a small Premiere-based shop.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on Mar 5, 2019 at 2:22:01 am

We typically work at lower data rates and have a nice Nexis set up that we use with Premiere. 4K at higher data rates on a shared solution would be great, but unfortunately exceeds our budget. We keep higher data rate "finishing" work on systems with fast direct attached arrays. Everything else is done off the Nexis.

Don

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]