ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

matte lines showing on certain displays

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erick Steiner
matte lines showing on certain displays
on Feb 11, 2019 at 9:47:59 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I made this video for a client. It was my first whiteboard video.

It looks fine on most everything I've tested it on, except for my cousin's TV, where it looks like this:

Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of this using only this video? I don't have the original files anymore. Because I deleted them in an emergency after receiving final approval. All I have is this H.264 mp4 file.

Best,
Erick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: matte lines showing on certain displays
on Feb 11, 2019 at 11:53:55 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 11, 2019 at 11:59:18 pm

You're using PP for this? Why not After Effects? And where did your background go?
If that's all you've got -- and it looks like just a masked still -- I'd say you're pretty much hosed.

And there ain't no emergency on God's Green Earth that makes a professional delete original files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erick Steiner
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:28:20 pm

Yeah, you're right. I learned that the hard way.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 12, 2019 at 9:41:26 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Feb 12, 2019 at 10:08:56 am

Here's a trick that will work well.

Make a Color Matte that is the same colour as your darkest area of background. Place it on a layer below your footage. Set the Blend Mode of the footage to Darken. All the nastiness will magically disappear.

If the result looks to dark to you, apply an Adjustment layer above those two layers, go to the Lumetri panel and adjust the levels to taste.

(Because your display is badly adjusted, you will also need to add a temporary adjustment layer [before doing the final colour adjustment) and add a Gamma correction to bring the brightness way, way down so you can check that you have fully eradicated the problem.)

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Erick Steiner
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:29:01 pm

Simon, you're a genius! Thanks so much for your help. That definitely fixed the problem!

Cheers,
Erick

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 13, 2019 at 8:53:44 pm

Glad to hear that helped.

Obviously there are different ways around this problem such as simply scaling up the white values but I thought this was a fun way to approach it, and it's a useful trick to know because you are not compromising the original image in any way.

Simon Ubsdell
Motion Graphics & VFX Tutorials
hawaiki

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Feb 12, 2019 at 6:35:56 pm

Drop your movie on the timeline, add Lumetri color. Drop Whites down to minus 20 or so and you will see your masks. Bring up Lumetri Scopes and you will see the difference in white levels on the scope display. Now delete Lumetri Color. Try this: Drop "VIDEO EFFECTS/LEVELS" onto your clip. Bring RGB White Output down to 200. Output your movie. Bring that movie back into the timeline and apply Lumetri and bring down Whites again. See if the hard mask lines are gone.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 12, 2019 at 8:01:15 pm

There is really no need to export in order to check the result.

What we do in the VFX world all the time to avoid problems like this (which are very common) is to apply a temporary gamma correction to over-ride any monitor issues, cranking the gamma way up and way down to see if we encounter any problems.

It's known as "gamma slamming".

Simply delete or disable the gamma correction when satisfied with the result.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]