ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

CPU upgrade for Premiere Pro and Magix Vegas - Advice on cores, clock speed etc.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Kee
CPU upgrade for Premiere Pro and Magix Vegas - Advice on cores, clock speed etc.
on Nov 30, 2018 at 10:06:54 am

Hello,

I'm interested in upgrading my PC to improve editing with Premiere Pro CC, Magix Vegas 16, Photoshop (and potentially After Effects). This particular topic is in regards to the CPU, what kind of improvement I should expect to see, and the importance of cores vs base clock speed.

My current setup is:
i7 4790k
GTX 1060
16GB Ram
SSD's

I'm looking to upgrade to something like:
i9 7940X
GTX 1060
64GB Ram
M.2 scratch disc

In order to have 64GB ram and M.2 drives, I'll need to upgrade my motherboard and CPU, and so I'd like some more info on the CPU upgrade as this will likely be the most expensive part.

I'm mainly doing editing, usually online editing with FS7 files, both HD and 4K, XAVC-I. I also occasionally edit R3D footage and it would be a bonus to edit it online (at a lower playback debayer).

I suppose my main questions are: What kind of performance increase should I expect with the i9 7940X vs my old i7 4970K. Are we talking massive? I'm trying to figure out what sort of money to spend relative to improvement. Furthermore, how important is core count vs base clock speed / turbo clock speed, as my current CPU has only 4 cores but fast speeds (4790K: 4.0 GHz vs 7940X: 3.1GHz). The main improvements I'm looking for are preview speeds, general editing & grading speeds and rendering times, loosely in that order.

I appreciate this is a broad discussion, as we're talking about several different programs that inevitably utilise computer components differently, but any advice would be appreciated.

No gaming!

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
Re: CPU upgrade for Premiere Pro and Magix Vegas - Advice on cores, clock speed etc.
on Dec 3, 2018 at 6:12:37 pm

I'm definitely not the one to give advice for this topic, but I ran across this article today highlighted in the most recent Tao of Color Grading Newsletter:

http://www.studiodaily.com/2018/11/workstation-tips-puget-systems-founder-p...

He mentions the 7960X paired with a 1070 and 64 GB of RAM as a common configuration. Looks like the Puget website has a lot of articles benchmarking different apps and systems too. Might be a good resource as you research upgrades.

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Will Kee
Re: CPU upgrade for Premiere Pro and Magix Vegas - Advice on cores, clock speed etc.
on Dec 3, 2018 at 8:30:39 pm

Thanks Joby that was a good read

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]