ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Zoom into image while keeping the same pillarbox ratio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Carsten
Zoom into image while keeping the same pillarbox ratio
on Aug 27, 2018 at 5:22:35 am

Hi there,

I’m new to Premiere Pro and I’m having a little difficulty with my first edit, which was supposed to be a simple slideshow!

Firstly, my photos are different aspect ratios (mostly a mix between iPhone portrait, square and landscape). I selected Scale to Frame Size, which has given me varying degrees of pillarboxing, which I’m comfortable with.

The problem is when I try to key frame zoom ins and outs, which I do using the Scale animation in Effect Controls. See middle clip in video here.

What I’d expect is the pillarboxing to stay the same. I.e. when I zoom in on the image. I don’t want the image to gradually eat into the pillarboxes. Wouldn’t standard behavior be if you zoom into or out of an image the aspect ratio and position of the image relative to the overall screen stays the same, i.e. the pillarboxing doesn’t get any more or less? Otherwise I’m going to have a video with black bars constantly increasing and decreasing.

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Thanks a lot ☺
Jamie

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Zoom into image while keeping the same pillarbox ratio
on Aug 27, 2018 at 6:30:27 am

Generate some black video, crop it/mask it from the middle and add it on the topmost track.

Return to posts index

Jamie Carsten
on Aug 27, 2018 at 8:23:11 pm

So there's no simple way to do this? ☹ I wanted to do a blurry background behind each image individually rather than the black. Would this be the same process? I'm not sure how to do any of what you've said. Would there be any tutorials that could help me?

This would surely be a common problem for people needing to zoom into photos/videos where there is letterboxing or pillarboxing? I hoped there might be a zoom effect rather than a scale effect that would allow me to zoom into the image without causing the image to grow or shrink on the screen, however I can't see anything. :(

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Aug 27, 2018 at 8:45:19 pm

Try this... put a Basic 3D effect onto your picture, then use the Distance to Image to move in. I think it should do what you want, but yes, typically you would create a matte to cut out where you want your background to show outside of your image.
TC

Return to posts index

Jamie Carsten
on Aug 28, 2018 at 1:51:01 am

Thanks Todd. I tried that but unfortunately it also causes the image to increase/decrease in size, rather than zoom into the image without the image position changing. See here:

Is there a simple step-by-step to follow to perform the traditional mask approach referred to? I'm a total newbie to Premiere Pro so any simple instructions are massively appreciated! ☺ What I'm guessing is I create a new video track above the image track. Then say for each image I make a copy of the image and place it into the track above, and add a gaussian blur. From there I'm then lost as to how I crop and mask!

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Aug 28, 2018 at 2:10:18 pm

Ha! Worked on a dslr pict I had. Scaled to desired size and used the 3d to zoom in.
Anyhow, using a matte will give you consistent results and be the best way to accomplish this. It's really quite simple. Check out some Track Matte tutorials online. There are a bazillion of them, but you'll probably just need one or two.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]