ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Buying a new monitor for color accuracy

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
manish choudhary
Buying a new monitor for color accuracy
on Feb 13, 2018 at 10:24:52 am

Please help buying a new monitor for color accuracy

after a lot of search i find benq had "Technicolor Certified" monitors for color accuracy but i am confused which one to buy

both are under my budget but main thing is color accuracy in my Music videos.

please help

Links Below :-

https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/photographer/sw320.html

https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/video-post-production/pv3200pt.html

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
Re: Buying a new monitor for color accuracy
on Feb 13, 2018 at 1:01:38 pm

For Color grading? Get a Flanders Scientific. Real good broadcast monitors.

K

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Feb 13, 2018 at 3:25:44 pm

i have my budget under 1500$ thats why i am looking at benq

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Feb 13, 2018 at 5:30:44 pm

Benq makes computer monitors and computer monitors are not acurrate in any way shape or form. They're also fed by DVI, HDMI or Display Ports from your video card which is not accurate as well. It needs to be HDSDI from a proper output box or card which will set you back a bit if coin as well. If you want an acurrate monitor for color correction your going to have to spend at least double that. Reality is that you will be in the range of $4000 to $7000 US.

Don't waste $1500 on something that's not going to be much more accurate than what you already have.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:11:41 pm

thanx but i need one for my workflow so what you think which one i should buy for my work until i have 4 to 7000$ USD
coz i need one i asked for these monitor coz they are color accuracy certified via "Technicolor"

or should i buy one from dell or anything under 1000$ ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:15:14 pm

That monitor might work, but you'll need a video IO device between your computer and it for accuracy...something from Blackmagic Design or AJA. And it being a computer display, it will only deal with progressive video, not interlaced.

And you'll need to calibrate it to bars, or have someone do it, so you know it's accurate for video. But yes, you'll need a video IO between your computer and it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:19:42 pm

@Shane i think u talking about x-rite or some other device for color calibration

and something from blackmagic and aja like sdi card?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:29:38 pm

[manish choudhary] " i think u talking about x-rite or some other device for color calibration"

Those are to balance computer displays for PHOTOGRAPHY, not video. I'm not sure what to use for video when you have a computer display. I have a Flanders monitor, and that is calibrated differently. Wish I could offer advice on this.

[manish choudhary] "and something from blackmagic and aja like sdi card?"

Well, what computer do you have? There's the UltraStudio series from BlackMagic for computers with Thunderbolt 2 connections. There's the INTENSITY for computers with PCIe slots, and even options for USB3 connections. AJA offers internal PCIe cards and Thunderbolt options.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:35:35 pm

i have dell's workstation series tower 5820
system config is :-

processor - intel xeon w-2175 14 core

ram - 64 gb 2666 mhz ddr4

graphic card - nvidia quadro p5000 16gb ddr5 memory

thunderbolt 3 pcie card - 1

i need monitor for video editing not for photo editing and monitors i mentioned above are factory calibrated for rec 709, adobe rgb, srgb, dci-p3.

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Feb 13, 2018 at 6:37:24 pm

blackmagic's ultra studio device with thunderbolt 2 and also macbook pro late 2015 with thunderbolt 2

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Feb 13, 2018 at 7:34:17 pm

Down to the nuts and bolts of things. No matter what kind of output device is used, HDMI is not truly broadcast accurate and the monitors are not truly Rec-709 Accurate. Subtleties in the most important places like the Blacks, Gamma, Whites, Colour Temperature and overall Colour can easily lead you astray with a computer monitor.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Feb 13, 2018 at 7:40:11 pm

confused with science of color grading

want to know which one should i buy?

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Feb 13, 2018 at 7:43:51 pm

i can add more money if needed

Return to posts index

manish choudhary
on Feb 13, 2018 at 10:05:44 pm

anyone?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2018 at 11:20:04 pm

For Thunderbolt 3, the Ultrastudio HD Mini will work.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio

And while the monitor you list won't be 100% TRUE BROADCAST ACCURATE, not everyone needs that. Being pretty close is fine too. When on a budget, getting pretty close is acceptable. There are HDTVs that people get so they can be close.

Are you doing broadcast work? Or delivery to the web?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:08:51 am

both broadcast and web but main are web videos on youtube channel.

so which monitor you suggest to me anything under 1500-2000$ will be fine for me

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:13:45 am

my main work is WEB and TV broadcast but preferred work is youtube work for an organization but in future i'll definitely do broadcast work thats why i need some kind of professional monitor

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:22:24 am

what can i get via "DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K"
i thinking about this pcie card peoples taking about thi guy on many forums and well on blackmagic forum

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:30:30 am

@shane please you suggest any other company or any other type of monitor its really great it seems like you have lot of experience with monitors and also any other brand like "dell , HP , eizo would be great choice.
can you suggest any?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2018 at 5:40:24 pm

[Manish Chaudhary] " it seems like you have lot of experience with monitors and also any other brand like "dell , HP , eizo would be great choice."

Well, I have experience with BROADCAST monitors...you keep listing COMPUTER DISPLAYS. These are two entirely different things. Computer Displays are designed to connect to a computer to show your workspace. And to be balanced to work on photography and print work. VIDEO monitors for color correction are different. WE are talking broadcast monitors, and HDTVs. NOT computer displays.

Broadcast monitors: Sony, Panasonic, Flanders Scientific, Barco...stuff like that.
Computer displays: Ezio, Dell, HP, Samsung, ASUS

If you are a beginner in color and don't have a lot of money...low budget...then look at good HDTVs. Samsung are good, as are some Sony's. But you will need to turn off the default settings as they are meant to oversaturate the image, smooth out 24p to make it 60p...all sorts of things. If you have no experience with color correction displays and what TVs might be good, then you need to hire a reseller who is familiar with this. WHo can turn off those defaults. I have a broadcast monitor, and then an HDTV for larger client viewing, but my HDTV is a Pro Plasma, so it has more professional settings. But if you get a GOOD HDTV, and have someone skilled in broadcast color calibration come and set it up, that's your best bet.

And part of this budget must also include the Video IO device (Blackmagic) to get the signal to that monitor.

If you are doing mainly WEB work...then the BMD card I listed, and a good HDTV is all you really need. If you are delivering to a network that has specifications that need to be met, and limits on video levels, then you need to start looking at Broadcast monitors.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 8:03:59 pm

which samsung or sony HDTV are good for my workflow i have to deliver to web mainly so i thnk i have to buy HDTV you suggested.
can you please tell me what are best display for my budget under $2000 ?

or for starting work i should use these computer monitors via BMD you suggest or BMD PCIe Card?

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 8:06:11 pm

any special model of Samsung or Sony HDTV for broadcast work under 2000$ ?

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 9:30:19 pm

1 more question if we got 10bit output via BMD decklink card than should we still need Nvidia quadro card or any GeForce Card work great?

2nd question if i use benq or eizo monitors via BMD Decklink card than how close i get the color accuracy for web?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2018 at 10:21:36 pm

[Manish Chaudhary] "1 more question if we got 10bit output via BMD decklink card than should we still need Nvidia quadro card or any GeForce Card work great?"

OK....BMD Deckink and NVidia cards are completely different things. They don't serve the same purpose. If you get a Decklink card, you still need the video card....the Nvidia or GeForce...to get a signal to your computer displays. And some applications like Premiere and Resolve also leverage the graphics card to help with real time playback and lessen render times. The BMD card is to get a video signal out to a broadcast monitor or HDTV for client viewing full screen, or for color correction.

[Manish Chaudhary] "which samsung or sony HDTV are good for my workflow i have to deliver to web mainly so i thnk i have to buy HDTV you suggested.
can you please tell me what are best display for my budget under $2000 ?"

I'm sorry, I don't know which model TV will be good....I don't have a current model. I haven't shopped around for one and compared models. Hopefully someone else can chime in...

[Manish Chaudhary] "or for starting work i should use these computer monitors via BMD you suggest or BMD PCIe Card?"

It's best NOT to use computer monitors via blackmagic. I mean, there are a couple that people have liked, like the Dreamcolor. And a few others (I can't recall brands because I don't use them, and don't plan on using them). But you can get a decent image feeding some specific models via the Decklink card.

Which BMD card? Well, if you have Thunderbolt 3, you can get the one I suggested. If you have a tower with PCIe...then you can get the INtensity internal cards.

Really...what I honestly suggest you do is contact an expert...a reseller who specializes in video editing equipment. Because you need personal guidance on this in making sure you get the right thing and that it's set up properly. I'm sure you are good at what you do, but you seem pretty inexperienced in this particular technical aspect, so you should seek assistance beyond a forum post. Someone to help in person.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 10:33:30 pm

thanx shane for your great time
what i meant with nvidia geforce or quadro is "quadro output 10-bit color and geforce dont" thats why i am asking about geforce and quadro cards.
i think after searched alot and experts says if you have 10bit expencive monitor than you need nvidia quadro card and geforce dosen't render 10-bit color space

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Feb 14, 2018 at 10:39:40 pm

For Web connect the Computer monitor to your Video Card because that's what people are going to be watching it on. A Compiter Monitor!!!!!

Yes you should still have a decent or high end video card for Adobes Mercury Engine and if you use DaVinsi Resolve as examples. Also know that many computer monitors will not work at some frame rates when connected to the HDMI Port on output devices like Blackmagic or AJA etc. Computer monitor scan rates are 60-70HZ while these Output Devices will be sending out frame rates like 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97 and even 30FPS (i.e. 23.976, 24HZ etc). Even worse some of those frame rates can be interlaced which computer monitors just hate. Newer monitors may support all those scan rates but you can only find out by actually trying it. Computer Monitor Manufacturers generally don't print those types of specs and most computer salesmen will not know if they will support those scan rates or not.

So my setup has two computer monitors a 55" 4K LG OLed TV and a Flanders CM-250 Reference Monitor. Yes the Flanders damn near bankrupted me but it's saved my ass so many times that it's more than payed for itself.

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 10:48:20 pm

Thanx @Brent

inow days my main work goes arround web but in future it will be go on tv's and also some times it goes now a days but not that majorly as web so is it good to connect my computer monitor via nvidia quadro and some monitors are factory calibrated to rec.709, sRgb, DCI-P3, Adobe RGB.
also my mentioned monitors also calibrated to rec.709 so what you think is it good to start with computer monitor and a good HDTV (can calibrated to rec.709). ?

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Feb 14, 2018 at 11:34:57 pm

Now it's up to your bank account and your eyes. At this point the only way someone can truly help you is if you buy one of us a plane ticket to wherever you are and we go shopping with you.

Research, reasearch, research.

Don't forget to take into consideration things like the colour of the wall behind your colour correction monitor. It needs to be fairly neutral, there's a specific gray that's used but I can't remember the name of it now. Colours that lean heavily to the primary colours will cause problems. So say your wall is blue your eyes will become less sensitive to blue and you will end up colouring heavier on the blue side. Not good!!!

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 14, 2018 at 11:39:50 pm

ya i read somewhere you have to put 18 or 80 % of gray on your wall not remember what is it but something like this and first i have to buy monitor and also in 5-10 days i'll put gray color what suits perfect for color grading ( i'll do this after long research )

thanx all of you

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:47:47 pm

This is my personal observation... I'd rather put $$$ in a color analyzer that supports your display, than a $$$ monitor....
Unless your monitor has lost it's backlight.....

You buy a god sensor and software, you can 'fix' a monitor with bad tracking.....

Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 16, 2018 at 3:39:12 pm

I'd rather put $$$ in a color analyzer that supports your display, than a $$$ monitor.
didnt get what you want to tell which kinda color analyze ? any suggestion or model?
please guide me what should i buy?

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 16, 2018 at 3:41:13 pm

http://sensing.konicaminolta.asia/products/ca-310-color-analyzer/
You mean this guy will help?

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Feb 19, 2018 at 8:02:39 pm

no one suggesting any specific monitor why?

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Feb 19, 2018 at 10:25:09 pm

Because it's up to you to figure this out. With the hundreds of available monitors and models constantly changing no one can give you an answer unless they waste some of there time going to stores and looking at them for you.

Monitors like anything else are subjective.

Here's a suggestion spend $6500 US on a Flanders CM-250 and be done with it.

Return to posts index

Erik Eliason
on Feb 19, 2018 at 11:01:49 pm

I bought an Eizo Coloredge CG 247X for the same range as your budget and I’m happy with it grading in Davinci Resolve. I’m on a GTX 1070 and Blackmagic.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cg247x/index.html

Return to posts index

Manish Chaudhary
on Mar 9, 2018 at 10:47:14 am

what about these 4k reference tv for color grading work until i have budget for FSI monitors.

01. Samsung Q7f 4k QLED TV
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-tvs/55--class-...

02. LG 4K UHD HDR Smart LED TV - 49" Class (48.5" Diag)
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-49UH6100-4k-uhd-tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]