ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Choppy laggy and just slow editting on prem pro... go to ProRes

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Francombe
Choppy laggy and just slow editting on prem pro... go to ProRes
on Feb 9, 2018 at 3:31:36 pm

Coming from Final Cut Pro, I was totally used to convertig all footage whatever it came from to ProRes before starting.
EVERYTHING I have read says I dont have to do this with Premiere Pro. And so, for that last few projects Ive just dragged in the footage from the card copy I have made from the camera. This is normally been (always perhaps) MXF.
While this has worked, and I just started editting straight away, I have had lots of juust really slow performance, hitting space bar and waiting for up to 5 secs before anything would play, laggy video... Just tiring!

Would it be better to go back to my trusted old method of converting everything to ProRes before I start? Or is Prem such a different beast that it wont make a difference? Ive been blaming my computer and hard drives and what not for a while, but.. it used to be ok... with FCP and ProRes...

I know PP "accepts" many formats natively, but what is actually best?

Mac here by the way...

Mark Francombe

Boss Creative
Transform

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Choppy laggy and just slow editting on prem pro... go to ProRes
on Feb 9, 2018 at 4:45:15 pm

What kind of footage are you trying to cut?

4K in H.264 is especially problematic for PP, a situation resolved by transcoding to a nice codec... like ProRes. Actually, ANY highly-compressed footage can give PP fits if the situation is right -- like not having fast storage with a fast connection.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Feb 9, 2018 at 4:59:24 pm

mxf works just fine in Premiere Pro ( I edit with mxf files regularly) without any transcoding if you have:

a newer CPU
a newer GPU
a minimum of 32 gigs of RAM
a fast RAID for all media
optional but even more ideal - a secondary ssd drive for cache and renders

Details on CPU's and GPU's that work well with Premiere are all over the Adobe Hardware forum.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Mark Francombe
on Feb 9, 2018 at 9:14:39 pm

Thanks to all your replys.
Briefly I will say the footage im typically getting these days is mxf (which I know is just a wrapper).
Im sure my computer is not up to scratch, and no ssd hd as scratch etc. But Im really commenting on the fact that when I went from encoding from whatever to ProRes in FCP before, everything was lovely.. but now, with dragging in anything straight to Prem, its laggy and tiring to work with, but not impossible.
Same computer same SIZE footage (up to 2k, normally 1920- 1080) samew workflow.

So all im asking is, IS encoding to ProRes gonna help... got 4 or 5 shoot days of material to do, should I bother?

Mark Francombe

Boss Creative
Transform

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 10, 2018 at 9:34:06 pm

Pro Res, DNXHD MXF, GoPro Cineform are all good to edit with and should solve your issues. Sounds like your footage is LongGOP, which might require more computing power than you have. Do a test with a few files and see if its any different. If not, you may have some other issue causing the bottleneck.

Return to posts index

Mark Francombe
on Feb 10, 2018 at 10:00:51 pm
Last Edited By Mark Francombe on Feb 10, 2018 at 10:35:56 pm

Just to finish this off, and tidy up for anyone else who comes along asking the same.
Iset all my footage to convert to ProRes, and just now checked it.
PERFECT! No lag, nice to work with as before.

So whatever Adobe say about Premiere accepting all these different formats (don't get me wrong, they do work, and IS handy, when in a pinch you wanna throw in a mp4.. ) is stretching it a bit... on MY pretty ok, but nothing special, slightly oldish mac... ProRes IS the way to go.

Thanks for all the opinions though, I guess if you have a really great computer you just don't know what it's like to have a crap one!

Anyway... this discovery means I have another question... in good forum etiquette, Ill make a new thread.

Over and out!

Mark Francombe

Boss Creative
Transform

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]