ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Media Offline when use NAS over Network

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fraser Lennon
Media Offline when use NAS over Network
on Dec 6, 2017 at 6:20:43 pm

We have a current setup where all of our media files and Premiere Pro project files are stored on a NAS device on the network.

Generally performance is fine and not slow, however periodically, all the source files in the project will become offline giving the standard Media Offline error screen.

The files have not been moved, deleted or had their name (or pathname) changed, yet Premiere Pro can't find them all of a sudden and you have to go and relink the files. Often with larger projects the easiest thing to do is to close and reopen the project, at which point Premiere is fine and able to find the files on its own again. This can happen 5-10 times a day. It is thought that connection to the NAS can blip at times and thus Premiere loses it's place and freaks out.

My issue though is why can't it recover from such a short outage that is not noticed by the user and doesn't affect other applications. Why can't it find the files again? Is there some mix up with the media caching system?

Looking for some insight into why this might be happening and any ways to help?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Media Offline when use NAS over Network
on Dec 7, 2017 at 1:01:43 pm

Which NAS are you using?
We have a Synology and it needed a complete cache read to avoid issues like that.
I suggest not to use it for lengthy projects.
Local drives are so cheap now.

Return to posts index

Fraser Lennon
on Dec 7, 2017 at 1:17:40 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. We are currently using a Synology DS216j.

Could you elaborate on the what you mean by a 'complete cache read'. Is this on the NAS or the PC?

I've come to the realisation that local drives is most reliable solution, but the collaborative functionality and ease of file management with multiple users is why it would be great to continue using the NAS if possible.

Thanks,
Fraser

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 7, 2017 at 2:47:14 pm

This is what I got from Synology on our issues:

Hello Eric,
Your RS2416+ has a built in indexing program, Universal Search. The MAC Finder feature of osX is able to integrate with the Universal Search feature and rely on the pre-indexed info the Standard Search Feature of osX is Searchlight, which can not integrate with the Universal Search Tool.
Can you log into your DSM and make sure that the Universal Search tool is active and that the folders you want to index are selected; DSM > Main Menu > Universal Search > [gear icon] > Choose files to be indexed.
Once the folders are indexed can you run a search with Universal Search and with finder and compare the results.

I hope that works for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]