FORUMS: list search recent posts

Swap out all drives in Promise Pegasus2 R8?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Jay Thomas
Swap out all drives in Promise Pegasus2 R8?
on Oct 15, 2019 at 5:55:05 pm

Hi, I have a Pegasus2 R8 with 3Tb drives reaching full capacity. I have a clone of this drive.

Is there any hiccup to the process of replacing all 8 existing drives (power off, disconnected) with 8 larger capacity drives (chosen from the Compatibility Datasheet https://www.promise.com/DownloadFile.aspx?DownloadFileUID=6110)?

Once replaced and powered up, would the unit see this new set of drives and do it's automatic process of preparing it as RAID5?

In which case I would then be able to migrate my cloned data back to this unit and have increased capacity?

Are there steps to this process that I'm missing, or is there anything that prohibits this process from working? It's understood that all existing data on the 3Tb drives would become unusable, though these drives themselves could be reformatted and reused elsewhere, and the unit is already past warranty with Promise.

Thanks for any advice.

Mac OS 10.14.6
iMac 27" 64GB RAM
PP CC 13.1

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: Swap out all drives in Promise Pegasus2 R8?
on Oct 22, 2019 at 3:38:26 pm

It's been a while since I touched a Pegasus, but as long as the drives are on the compatibility sheet, you should be good. You will most likely have to go into the software and set the drives up as RAID5 - I doubt that will be automatic. But it is a simple process. Your old drives could sit on a shelf, just number what slots they came out of. They could always get swapped back in if you needed to.
TC

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Swap out all drives in Promise Pegasus2 R8?
on Nov 4, 2019 at 12:40:34 pm

Hi Jay,

no problems with bigger drives from the comptibility list.
All drives must be the same.
You can use the 3TB drives for back-up as single drives. That is what we do.
I would go for a Raid 6 arrangement. So you get more safety.
Buy 10 drives, just in case you get a failure.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]