FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sonnet Drive fail

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Chris Barrett
Sonnet Drive fail
on Oct 4, 2017 at 7:37:18 am
Last Edited By Chris Barrett on Oct 4, 2017 at 7:48:41 am

I'm probably on the wrong forum or in the wrong place but hoping this finds a helpful soul ! I'm very out of date and the brain is draining away too but my Media 100 HDe which I got in 2007 with a new Mac pro - running OS 10.4.11 Tiger (locked in with the Media 100 version so can't update) all installed by the experts has been wonderful and I have not been able to afford to update so can you cast your minds back ?
The Sonnet Sata 500 with 5 x 500 gb drives would not start properly some months ago - seemed like it wasn't getting power so I took out the on off switch and bypassed it in case it was oxidised. Together with some other poking and fiddling it then switched on and has been fine with Med 100 for months. The other day after not using it for quite a few weeks I switched on - lights came on - switched on Mac and it started to 'find' the Sonnet and then suddenly all the lights on the sonnet went out and the Mac crashed. I got a note of the messages but they mean little unless you are an expert. I tried again after replugging the Sata board and checking connectors but same has happened.
Since my 5 x 500 gb drives are striped as one does this mean it will be impossible to recover stuff off them ? Also, I have been on Med 100 for 25 years or more and have endless boxes of manuals and disks on the old models but would I have disks for this Media 100 HDe 11.6.2 (Intel) or would it have been a download in 2007 ? Have boxes of stuff from my UK studio here in Spain and can't find anything !
Have ordered on ebay a second hand Sonnet 500 case hoping that it is a fault with that only and I can try my drives in it. Any comments much appreciated as I'm up a mountain in S Spain without easy reach of help.

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sonnet Drive fail
on Oct 7, 2017 at 5:21:18 pm

A HGST 4TB NAS drive is $126 US.
This will go right into your Mac Pro, and give you as much storage as your eight 500 Gig drives.
Why are you going thru this aggravation ?

The Sonnet port multipler cards and chassis that were based on Silicon Image 3124 chipsets were notorious for failures. Buy a drive, and call it a day.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Chris Barrett
on Oct 8, 2017 at 11:43:04 am

Hi Bob - thanks for your help - much appreciated and noted. A couple of questions - do I stand a chance of rescuing any data off the 5 x 500 gb drives that only used to show as one on desktop ? Had only just started to make a backup so missing most !
Also, Does the HGST plug in through the existing SATA drive card - does it need a 'driver' if Macs use such a thing or is it via USB or Firewire in which case is it a fast enough connection for my HD work on the time line.

Is it possible the fault I have is with the SATA card ?

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 8, 2017 at 3:11:03 pm

all Mac Pros (the silver tower that you own) have four slots for SATA drives, with 4 sleds. You simply pop in the drive into an empty sled (you need a phillips screwdriver to screw in the drive to the sled), and the new drive will appear in Apple Disk Utility, where you can erase it, and it will appear on your desktop. You do not need any drivers, and it does not attach to any cables, or any cards.

As for your existing 5 bay port multiplier chassis - they all went bad - not only Sonnet, but Cal Digit, and others that used Sil 3124 port multiplier chips. Sometimes you get lucky for it to come back, sometimes you don't. You can simply unplug the entire chassis while it is on, and plug it back in. I believe all these chassis have 5 LED lights on the back to see the status of them being on. When you plug the cable back in, you will see the lights flash and then go solid on, when it's up. If the lights never come on, well, you are screwed. When we used to observe this, we thought "oh, we have a dead drive", but the drives were never dead - it was the port multiplier technology.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Chris Barrett
on Oct 8, 2017 at 5:38:42 pm

Bob - what you say makes good sense - the Sonnet drive behaved just as you say - months ago it didn't light up properly - I fiddled about - put it back on and it was ok. This time, as I said earlier - lights at front came on and then as Mac tried to find them they all went out and Mac crashed.

I'm relieved to get help from you that makes good sense because as you know - stuck up this mountain in Spain I'm a bit isolated when it comes to repairs, spares and the know how and although my client list is much thinner I still have important projects to do. I'm pretty handy at putting in drives etc provided all the plugs are there. Thanks again.

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Chris Barrett
on Oct 8, 2017 at 5:44:58 pm

Oh - just one thing - is it the card in the Mac with the SATA lead out that fails or is it chips in the Sonnet box do you reckon ? I'm going for the Drive you recommend but a friend is bringing a spare secondhand Sonnet case tomorrow - driven out from England and if that allows me to rescue all the stuff off the drives you can imagine my hair might not turn grey ! Well actually - bit late for that !

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Chris Barrett
on Oct 9, 2017 at 11:42:17 am

Hi Bob, friends from England dropped off Sonnet case and after a coffee I have plugged in my drives and turned on - hallelujah and all that - they lit up and appeared on the desktop as normal. You can imagine I am very relieved. The case has been a bit changed - suspect it was in a rack or something - feet missing - the locks broken (to remove drives without keys I suppose) and the bottom drive front lights are dead ( wires ?) BUT it appears ok. Now I am going to be a good boy and back up my 2.5Tb of stuff to my Toshiba USB drive (3Tb)

I will get round to ordering the drive you suggested although they seem to be more available in the States.

So your knowledge was spot on and I imagine the 'chip set problem' is in the drive case ?

I think I have mixed forum topics or a separate one has started so will copy this to the other.

Thanks again - this is all good knowledge although there probably aren't many others out there as out of date as I am - but at least I benefit from all that hard won experience.

Chris

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Chris Barrett
on Oct 12, 2017 at 11:24:40 am

Bob, expect you are busy but can you just confirm that the HGST drive you suggested is fast enough in my Mac to run the Med 100 timeline in HD ?

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Chris Barrett
on Oct 10, 2017 at 7:57:38 am

Bob, followed all you say and as you know now have the 5 drives backing up from the replacement Sonnet case but can I be sure that the HGST drive will perform fast enough with my Media 100 11.6.2 when using HD on the timeline ? I thought originally the only way of getting the speed was with a complicated raid type set up. Have found one in UK - reasonable price so just want to be sure !
Chris

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 12, 2017 at 3:08:35 pm

I am listing computer shops in Spain, where you can buy drives. I really don't understand what is going on with your system. Or your situation.
You can upgrade your computer to a new OS for free.
You can get new Media 100 software for free
https://www.media100.com/

If you don't like Media 100 anymore, you can use Apple iMovie (5 dollars), or Davinci Resolve (free).

I have shown you the only cheap solution (about $120) to quickly resolve your issue. Are you actually questioning spending $120, and perhaps there is a way (for free) to get your antique RAID array to continue to work ? How much did your friend spend to bring you the replacement old Sonnet chassis ? Wasn't his time and effort worth more than a single $120 4TB SATA drive.

Buy the damn drive, and see what happens. If things don't work out, it's time to buy a new computer, or update yours, and use FREE NEW SOFTWARE - just like the FREE Media 100 software, that you already know.

I don't get what the problem is here.

Bob Zelin

the best computer shops around Spain [:henry chinaski] are the following ones:

4Frags: http://www.4frags.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=5l8rfj8sbd4drkefcfjersg4a6ar...
Alternate: http://www.alternate.es/html/index.html
APPInformatica: http://www.appinformatica.com/default.htm
Coolmod: http://www.coolmod.com/default.aspx?c=4&hc=4&s=1 (highly recommended)
Info-coste: http://www.info-coste.com/
Izarmicro: http://www.izarmicro.net/index.php (highly recommended)
PCBox: http://www.pcbox.com/default.asp?lan=es&cnt=es
PCComponentes: http://www.pccomponentes.com/ (highly recommended)
Traxtore: http://www.tienda-traxtore.com/tienda/

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Chris Barrett
on Oct 12, 2017 at 7:05:05 pm

Bob, thanks for all - there is no problem - the spare sonnet case which cost £ 55 (friends were happy to bring if for me on their holiday) works my 5 drives so I have been able to back up all that was on them - that was my biggest worry. I have been told by Mac experts that it is impossible to update my Mac OS to a later system that will run the free Media 100 so have to wait for that. The only query I had was for you to confirm that a single new model 4 Tb drive at 7200 rpm was fast enough to run my HD timeline ? I have already found one to order from uk so our messages might have crossed. In my simple brain I wondered why they made such a fuss about a 5 drive raid system originally and all I needed was a confirmation from you that it would run fast enough - thats all - nothing more to worry about - sorry to put you to all the trouble !
Chris

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]