FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Apple RAID Card compatible with El Capitan

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rofrano
Is Apple RAID Card compatible with El Capitan
on Jun 21, 2016 at 1:15:08 pm

I'm hoping someone here can save me the trouble of finding this out "the hard way" ;-)

I have a 2010 Mac Pro with an Apple RAID Card that is supporting a RAID 5 of 4 x 2TB disks running OS X 10.10 Yosemite. My boot drive is an OWC Accelsior E2 SSD (in a PCIe slot) so I don't need RAID support to boot, but I need it to show up once booted.

I've updated my MacBook Pro to 10.11 El Capitan and noticed that the Disk Utility no longer supports RAID! (what was Apple thinking???) What does this imply?

So my question is:
If I upgrade my 2010 Mac Pro to OS X 10.11 El Capitan, will my Apple RAID Card continue to work? i.e., is it still supported?
Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide,

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Is Apple RAID Card compatible with El Capitan
on Jun 21, 2016 at 11:51:59 pm

well don't worry, because macOS Sierra re introduces the RAID software for RAID 0 and RAID 1.
You are the only person I know still using the horrible Apple RAID card (which was made by LSI).

Buy an external box, and use a card from Areca, Highpoint or ATTO, and your headaches and fears will be instantly gone.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 22, 2016 at 2:12:06 pm

[Bob Zelin] "You are the only person I know still using the horrible Apple RAID card (which was made by LSI). "
Well... it came with the Mac Pro when I bought it and it's working so who am I to fix something that's not broken. ;-) I do have an external RAID 5 that is connected via eSATA but I get your point.
[Bob Zelin] "Buy an external box, and use a card from Areca, Highpoint or ATTO, and your headaches and fears will be instantly gone. "
Actually, just last month the battery failed on my Apple RAID Card and I'm now contemplating spending $130USD on a new battery which I guess begs the question, would that money be better spent buying a new RAID card that doesn't have the 2TB per disk limit of the existing card.

Would any of those cards be able to use my internal drives? I was trying to decide what to do with the 4 internal drive bays so I thought that making a RAID 5 using the existing Apple RAID Card would be the best use of them rather than 4 independent drives. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your feedback. I'll do an upgrade to El Capitan this weekend and see how it goes.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 8, 2016 at 12:40:12 pm

Hi John,

Bob's right. You get a lot of other benefits together with an external raid array. With internal raid cards, the computer gets hot. The raid card is directly under the motherboard. Our experience is, that after 5 years constant work the mac goes bad, because of the immense heat within. An external closing has got a lot of powerful fans just to cool the raid.
Although support is better.

cheers

rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 9, 2016 at 8:41:47 pm

yes, ANY of the RAID boxes (Highpoint, etc.) will be able to use your drives. HOWEVER - I am guessing that the raid formatting is different, so you will lose you data on the drives (so you need to back it up somewhere). When you switch between an Areca, ATTO, Highpoint, and LSI Logic card, all of these companies raid config is incompatible with each other, so you are always starting from ground zero.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]