FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D Mark II Audio Question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory ORear
Canon 5D Mark II Audio Question
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:41:50 am

Hi,

I'm currently trying to decide on a good audio set up for my Canon 5D2. What I want is something AGC elimination with two XLR inputs that isn't too unwieldy for both tripod and handheld recording.

I've done a lot of research and I'm trying to decide between the Beachtek DXA-SLR and the Juicedlink CX231 with the MM firmware, as these seem to be the best options (though I'd be open to any other suggestions).

I'll be doing a lot of run and gun recording in the field, and will need to be relatively lightweight.

Has anybody used either of these two devices for handheld recording? How is it? I am slightly concerned that with a telephoto lens it would be very front heavy, and I'm wondering if the camera would be so heavy that adjusting the pots on the fly with one hand would be difficult to do.

I'm also vaguely considering the notion of giving up having two XLR inputs and just getting an XLR to mini adapter and installing the MM firmware, if the above devices prove to be too cumbersome for handheld, but I would really like to be able to use a mounted shotgun and a wireless lav setup at the same time.

Any advice would be great! I apologize if there was already a thread on this but I searched a lot and couldn't find one that addressed these issues.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Canon 5D Mark II Audio Question
on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:04:07 am

The 5dmk2 firmware upgrade a few months ago got rid of AGC. So using a device that puts noise on track two is no longer necessary. If you need mic powering, then best advice is a small sound devices field mixer which feeds stereo to the camera and also has a back up hard drive recorder. Solves mic powering, monitoring, metering and level control

Return to posts index

Rory ORear
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:43:49 pm

which one in particular did you have in mind? my budget is somewhere around the 300-600 range. the only one i'm seeing in that range is the MixPre, and that's pushing it since i'd have to buy a porta-brace as well for a couple hundred bucks.

Return to posts index

Guy Cochran
on Oct 1, 2010 at 11:31:16 pm

If you want noise free, high quality audio, go for a Tascam DR100 handheld recorder. Feed an XLR mic into the DR100, then from the LINE out, use a cable with attenuation to convert it down to MIC level and into the 5D's mic input. Now you'll have a sync track with your video. You can then manually sync the two tracks in post or use Pluraleyes http://singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

The nice thing about the Tascam as opposed to other recorders is that it has a Line out as well as a Headphone out. So you can monitor your audio with headphones while still feeding your Line to Mic cable into the camera.

Here is an example with a shotgun mic as well as a wireless lav.

Guy Cochran
DVcreators.net - DVeStore

Return to posts index

King Dexter
on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:38:31 pm

Is there a 3rd party cable or any way to connect a wireless (lav mic) receiver to the mic mini input on the 5D MK II? I have a samson UHF Micro 32/T32 wireless and a Sennheiser ew 100 G2 SK100. I'd like to be able to connect either one via balanced if possible. All comments welcome!

Regards,
Kingdex

Return to posts index

King Dexter
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:42:21 pm

In case anyone's interested, I did find a cable that connects my wireless receiver to the 5D MKII. Purchased from Sweetwater (Thanks Bob Mondok). It's the XVM - 105F cable (XLR 3F-3.5MM TRS RA.

Audio tests with talking heads are quite good. Nice to have this xlr - wireless to the 5D MKII as a practical option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]