FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get consistent lighting/color over jump cuts?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Hickey
How to get consistent lighting/color over jump cuts?
on Feb 5, 2019 at 3:24:21 am

New to the forums here and just invested in starting to build home/office studio and started a new channel for my wife.

I started filming with the Canon M50 for my wife's new Youtube series but when editing in post (FCPX) I noticed there are shifts in lighting and color extremely noticeable in jump cuts across takes.

I'm shooting in manual mode and my studio lights stay set. Can I (and how) do I fix this in post or is my shooting setup messed up?

Here's a video if it might help to see what I'm trying to talk about.

A good example can be found at the jump cut between 1:40-1:43. All takes filmed within a 20-minute window. 

Any tips would be appreciated!

Kevin
Detroit, MI

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: How to get consistent lighting/color over jump cuts?
on Feb 6, 2019 at 12:13:06 am

Did you check and make sure Auto ISO and Auto White Balance are both disabled? Also, it appears that you have some natural light leaking in the background at least; could the sun be moving in and out of clouds? That would cause small but noticeable exposure changes.

Return to posts index

Kevin Hickey
on Feb 7, 2019 at 10:06:18 pm

Thanks for the tips Blaise.

I believe I did turn off Auto ISO and WB but I'll double check to make sure.
After noticing the changes in lighting I started wondering about the light from the windows too, although I wouldn't assume such noticeable changes would happen so quickly. I'm going to try and cover the windows and see what happens.

Any other tips or insights are certainly welcome!

Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 8, 2019 at 5:38:05 pm

You'd be amazed at how quickly natural light can shift--when you're shooting outdoors, the sun goes behind a tree or cloud, and boom, two full stops of exposure change. Since it's not your only source, it doesn't have that much effect, but enough to be noticeable--I'd wager a beer that's what's going on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]